Clownfish Gasping? Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
We got a bonded pair of O. clowns last week and the male is swimming at the top of the tank.. maybe gasping for air? And the female is swimming at the bottom. They both are acting sluggish and can't quite seem to get the urge to swim around (or so it seems). Our parameters are: ammonia: 0, nitrate: 0, nitrite: 0, pH: 8.2, salinity: 1.022. Earlier today, for some reason, our pH dropped to 7.8, but we brought it back up to 8.2. Can anyone explain their behavior to us?

Mine likes to hang around the top of the tank. The Ph swing could have affected them. You really dont want to have but a .20 ph swing per day.

It only happened today. The pH has constantly been at 8.2-8.4 for the past few weeks. It hasn't dropped like this in a while.

if they are eating i would say they should be fine. could just be that its a new tank for them

well we tried to feed them a little bit to see if they would eat, but no success. we will try again at normal feeding time and see what they do. we are in the process of trying to breed these fish. we were told to gradually lower the salinity and not clean three sides of the tank. which we have done. and now there is algae growing on our rocks because the water is not being disturbed as much, i guess. could the excess algae and not cleaning the tank have something to do with their behavior as well?

update: we just tried to feed them again and they did not eat. What do we do?

It might sound like a silly question, but have you cycled the tank? Normally trace amounts of nitrate are in the water if you have successfully cycled. Unless you have a nitrate reactor or something of the sort. (I assume as you have live rock and live sand you have been through a cycle.

Try soaking the food in garlic before you feed.

Just make sure if they aren't eating to remove the excess food, you may encounter some ammonia issues if you dont.

Did the pH swing when the fish were in there?
How did you raise it?

The pH level isn't really an issue, it's the quick swings that are.

Yes we have cycled the tank. This is the first day that they are acting like this. Yes the fish were in there when the ph swing. It went from about 7.9 to about 8.2. Now over night they are not at the top anymore but now both at the bottom of the tank sitting down.

When we got them it was at 1.022 now after a week it is 1.021. And all the levels are perfect right now. It looks like they are about to die. They are both at the bottom laying down breathing really slow and heavy and then all of a sudendy they will swim up to the top like they are trying to jump out. Then they will go back down to the bottom and do it over again.

Are u checking salinity with a refractometer? Or hydrometer. I had a similar problem with watchmen goby. Led to salinity at 1.028. Hydrometer said 1.023

For a reef tank 1.025 to 1.026 some people run their tanks at 1.022 for a fish only tank. Myself I think that is to low. Do not raise your SG fast just top off with saltwater instead of RO water to bring it back up. A LFS uses a hydrometer to measure their SG and I asked them what they run their SG was and they said 1.021 when I got home I checked it against my refractometer it was 1.025 just like mine.

Make sure whatever you are using to check your water has been calibrated.

I don't mess with the PH of my water because it does swing a little with the lighting schedule. Do you have a glass top over your tank? Another reason your PH might vary.

we are using a hydrometer and we have a biocube with a top with lights

Hydrometer is off I guarantee it. I have three and they all read different. Get a refractometer or go to local fish store and have them check it with a refractometer. If u have the coralife hydrometer it's off out of box.

Reef Mechanic said:
Hydrometer is off I guarantee it. I have three and they all read different. Get a refractometer or go to local fish store and have them check it with a refractometer. If u have the coralife hydrometer it's off out of box.
I Agree with Reef Mechanic I had the same problem check with a refractometer . Hydrometers are always off.

Do you have a powerhead pointed at the waters surface? This will give you better gas exchange and help stabilize your PH.

Back
Top Bottom