Clownfish mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mollesandra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am considering getting a pair of clownfish. If I get two young clowns, is it reasonable to say that unless they are openly aggressive towards each other, that they will pair up? Is there anything I can do to mate them successfully? Would it be wise to get more than two to better the chances of a successful pair?
Thank you very much!

that depends...

I was thinking about getting false perculas, since my research so far has said these are the easiest to care for and the most successful. I am open to suggestion, however.

My clowns are a pair, however, I have yet to see any sorta mating rituals going on. The female (the bigger of the two) is quite aggressive twoard her man. she needs to calm down!!!

My clowns are a wild caught mated pair. I've yet to see mating behavior (as if I'd recognize it if I did) but the female is very protective of the male and their anemone. The female seems to feed the male by dropping food near him. The male seems kind of stupid, even for a fish. It's no wonder he's stayed smaller than her with his food finding blindness and lack of motivation. He spends most of his time in or right next to their anemone while the female explores a lot.

The shop I bought them from has a mated pair that is not for sale that regularly mates. They lay eggs right behind the anemone and the little male just hangs out by the eggs fanning them. Maybe that's why my male stays "home" all of the time and the female feeds him. I don't think mine have laid eggs but the behavior might be strongly programmed in.

Back
Top Bottom