clowns fish dies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumpy

Aquarium Advice Activist
The smaller of the 2 false clowns died this evening. I bought them in January and one grew alot larger than the other. The larger one was the most aggressive. It would go after the food alot more and the smaller seemed almost afraid of the larger one. I noticed the smaller one also had some torn fins for the past 2 weeks. It was odd tonight (and sad) to watch both of them. The one that died was mostly laying on the sand (before it died) and the larger one would act really protective, kind of snuggleing up against him and then for no reason would hit at it and then would bite into it and carry it around the tank. It broke my heart to see this. The smaller one finally went behind some rock and this is where I found her dead. I just hope I don't have a mean clown fish. They were the only 2 fish I had but I do want to add a couple more fish in the future.

Thats really sad. I can totally see it happening too. Mine is really agressive. Used to be worse, used to jump out of the tank at me until he landed on one of the glass tops. He carries rocks in his mouth and places them where he sees fit, as well as small corals :evil: . Mine bully's everybody, though the Naso seems to put him in his place. Pairing him(her) did not work, had to give the fish back to the pet store or I am sure it would have suffered the same fate.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It really is sad. We lost our female clown (the larger of the two is always the Fem). Unfortunately our hermits found her before I did... ewwwww. We could get our widows together and maybe end up with a pair! Make sure if you replace him that you get a smaller one to ensure that it is still juvi/male. Once female they won't change back to male. You have the best shot of getting a male if you get a tiny one.

Agreed. My larger clown chased the daylights out of the smaller clown. I thought it was gonna kill it. But, once the male 'gave in' to her I guess, they died down a bit and were inseperable (besides an occasional bout of chasing around the tank). Then, my larger (female) had to go leap out of the tank one night....

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom