Clowns going crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This might not be a problem - just a behavior I don't know about.

My 2 percula (false) clownfish are madly swimming from one corner to the other, making a down, then upward swoop along the way, on the same end of my 75g.

Once in awhile, one will swim clear to the other end, then race back, joining the other for more back and forth - its almost like they're racing.

Maybe they're playing - anyone else have crazy clownfish?

Water is good (still cloudy as mentioned in another post), but ammonia at zero, nitrates betwen 10 and 20, nitrite close to zero (just barely registering above, not quite up to 0.25). SG 1.022 and temp 78 (both stable for some time).

How long have they been in the tank? Eating fine? They do this crazy swimming all day, or just at times?

And yes, clownfish can be a little crazy.

They seem to do this at night - they're eating both flakes, frozen brine (thawed of course!) and frozen seafood blend. They've been in for 4 days now.

My clowns did this too when I first put them in the tank, they eventually stopped. Maybe their telling you they want a bigger tank, or powerheads to race against lol.

What is the pH and how long have you had them?

Cheers
Steve

pH 8.2 and stable. Ammonia 0, nitrate just over 0 (not quite as bluish as zero but nowhere near 0.25 on my test). Nitrates at 10ppm.

Had them in there for 4 days now.

I hope these two 1" nut-balls don't want a bigger tank than the 75g they're in now ;)

Tonight they're doing a little less of the back and forth, but back and forth mixed with trips across the front and the side. Not quite as furious as last night.

Wouldn't hurt to do a good sized water change. Believe it or not it can do wonders. If their behavior is the same in a few days or gets worse, post back.

Cheers
Steve

Mine swam laps around the tank for about 3 days. Now he like to swim against the current of my PH...

We have a clown who is right around a half inch. He is so cute, but he just hangs out in one corner of our tank except for the occasional exploration journeys. He comes out to eat. We just kind of let him be. I think its just where he feels comfortable. But thats just ours.. but your not alone in having a really weird clown.

Back
Top Bottom