Clowns keep dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarOrks15

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so i have had the tank up an running for about 7 weeks now. at about 5 weeks i added 2 clown fish. one die and the other lived. yesterday i picked up one more clown fish. he died eather last nigh or this morning. my water is all good
NO2 = .3
NO3 = 5
PH = 0
temp = 80.6 F
slainty = 1.024
ammonia = 0

what could it be? i have a clean team of hermits and some snails and i have one cleaner shrimp in the thank. that tank is 46 gal. any help?

WIth nitrite of .3 i would not classify your water as being 'all good'. Ammonia and nitrite should be 0.

How are you acclomating these fish? Clown fish are usually very hearty.

well i tried it 2 different way one of witch the lfs told me to do it. and the no2 might be low it is almost clear in the test tube. but the .3 test sheet has vary little color in it. so it might be less then .3 or might be .3. but i acclimate them by floating the bag for 30 min. then every 5 min i add one cup of tank water. after adding 3 cups of water i net them out of the bag and put them in the tank. that is how the lfs told me to do it. i know dripping is a lot better then the way i am doing it but i that is how they told me to do it with there fish and i Figured if i did not do it there way they might not let me bring the dead fish back. it is not mine loss they will replace it for free. but i just feel bad because i have killed 2 of them. and that is a loss in there books.

WarOrks,
You have your PH reading at 0. Is that correct or did you misprint it? I'm somewhat new to this but I believe the PH should be about 8.1 - 8.3 if I'm not correct. Perhaps someone with more experience with SW could confirm.

they could be stressing each other out as fish do not usually tolorate their own kind, unless they are a mated pair

Well the ph was not 0 it was 8.3 and I went there to day and they tested my water and every thing was great. ph 8.3 no3= no2=0 ammonia=0 but then he tested my salt. When I tested it I got 1.023 and he tested it at 1.027. The testers he said was new but was vary precise. So he would not replace the fish. And I am having a hard time thinking that my water went up .04 in 20 in the drive over to the lfs. And what really dose not make sense is that I still have a cleaner shrimp and 1 more clown fish still swimming and eating vary well. (Along with the hermits and snails). But it dose not matter they lost my business forever.

Back
Top Bottom