Colt Coral Behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
Like I said earlier, we rearranged the entire tank this morning. The colt coral has totally withdrawn and smoothed out, like a leather would. It has never done this, no matter what..water changes, messing with powerheads, changing locations...it has grown a huge amount since we got it, is this type of behaviour normal.

Also, I have picked up about 8 books on corals, inverts saltwater aquaria in general, but none of the books mentions what is "normal" for these animals to do. Do you know of anyplace that does discuss this type of thing? I hate to keep asking bothersome questions.

It is now shrivelled up to about half of its size and purplish brown in color instead of pink. All the other corals are happier than I have ever seen them. Polyp extension on the cup and button is fantastic, the leather is so extended it looks like a fringed leather jacket!

What on earth could be making this guy so unhappy?

When a colt gets pissed, it gets really pissed
teu82.gif
, but it should recover in a couple of days. It is just stressed out, I would say for the amount of stress it is behaving normally. I would also guess that if you were to closely inspect the rocks immediately adjacent to the rock the colt was on before the move, you might find bits of colt on it. They will grow tremendously, including at the base. I would further guess that it's base was ripped a little in the move... hence the closing up. Make sure it has plenty of waterflow, when it is pissed it will slime like crazy...to the degree that it could smother itself.

Just the other day I had my ph get too high 8.6. It did not bother all the other corals but my finger leather shrivel up and then desinagrated. So if you havent checked your ph,you might want to.

Back
Top Bottom