Colt turning white!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crawling68

Aquarium Advice Activist
A couple of days ago, i noticed a white spot on my colt coral, kinda like its bleached out. Today, there was some more. All my water parameters are fine, and the rest of my corals are growing fast. I also noticed a little white worm looking thing on it. Can someone please help.

Crawling68 said:
I also noticed a little white worm looking thing on it..
Should try to get a pic of the "critter" if possible and post it. It will help to determine if it's part of the problem or just in the wrong place at the right time.

The areas look like they could be recovering from a bacterial infection or possibley they've been munched on. The visual similarity of the two problems is pretty much identical. It doesn't look like bleaching.

Are there any nearby corals, newly added animals or recent changes in the tank? I see you've indicated the tank specs are in order but can you post the actual numbers?

Cheers
Steve

We just got home and saw the critter again. Its about 1" Long, white, with legs. Its strong too, i tried to suck it off the coral with a baster, but it just held on and went under it. There are no corals around it as i heard they grow fast so i put it by itself in the corner. The corals have only been in the tank about three weeks. I have snails and crabs and stuff, but no one goes near it. Every once and while, it spews this web like substance as well. Oh yea, specs:
Temp: 82
SG:1.024
Ph: 8.4
No ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites
Im not sure about Calcium or Alkalinity as i do not have the tests yet. I know your not supposed to dose with out the tests, but i was told to dose once a week with B-ionic. I am getting the tests this weekend so i can adjust accordingly.

Without a pic I can only guess what your critter would be. As I said, just because it's in the same area does not mean it's guilty by default but I wouldn't dismiss it either. Keep watching it and look for signs of brown masses or spots in the area's of the coral that are discolored. If you determine the "critter" is the cause, definately remove it but I wouldn't do it unless your sure. Colt corals as a rule are quite hardy and it should withstand an fair amount of punishment.

Every once and while, it spews this web like substance as well.
A pic would help this immensely. :?:

As far as your chem is concerned, alk/Ca on the whole will have very little to do with soft coral health unless the alk numbers are seriously out of wack. If your doing somewhat regular water changes, you should be okay. Once a week dosing depending on how much really shouldn't cause too many problems unless you have nothing depositing CaCO3. Once you get your test kits though, I would post some results to see what there.

Cheers
Steve

that web like thing is not any thing to worry about. my finger leater did the same thing and he has been doing great for about 8 month now. he dose it about every night or so and at first i thought it was a bug or some thing and i still do but he is growuing like a weed and has no spots on him.

WarOrks15 said:
that web like thing is not any thing to worry about.
Personally, until something has been identified properly, it should not be discounted as nothing.

Cheers
Steve

I wish i could take better pics, but ive resorted to using my video camera as my roommate moved out and took the digital camera with him.

steve-s said:
Personally, until something has been identified properly, it should not be discounted as nothing.

Cheers
Steve

well when i did get my leather i did post some thing ont his board and i know some one told me what it was or told me not to worry about it. i think it might have been reefrunner or some one that knows what they are talking about. it was a long time ago and i cant remeber the person who said it. but i might take a look around the site for the posts.

That looks like a hydroid to me but I may be way off. Waiting to see what steve-s says.

Kaye

specialk said:
That looks like a hydroid to me but I may be way off. Waiting to see what steve-s says.
It is possible but without being able to see both ends, hard to confirm. If you look closley, the "critter" seems to be segmented which would suggest a worm. I am thinking more towards a species of Phyllodocida spp. not compeletly sure though. If a hydroid or predaceous worm, it should be removed carefully or it could spread.

Easiest way would be sacrificing a pair of new stockings. Cut a small swatch and place a small piece of shrimp or other meaty raw seafood in it. Loosely tie it with string and place it as near to the coral as possible. If a worm, it will become entangled in the nylon and can be easily removed. You will get a few other stragglers but nothing to be concerned about. If possible, place the "trap" above substrate level.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom