Copersafe how long is needed to keep levels up in qt tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkadar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have a 92 corner fowlr tank with snails and some crabs. Had a little ich in tank long ago but most of the fish seemed to be coexisting ok with it. Just a little flashing from my lemon wrasse every now and then. Added a blue hep tang and within three days he was covered with white spots. Have all fish in a qt tank with 2ppm coper safe solution. Going on two weeks this Monday, all fish are looking good, even the blue tang. I know I need to keep main tank fish free for 6 weeks to kill ich there, but how long do I need to keep copper levels up in qt tank? I would like to reduce levels there, as soon as possible.

Minimum of 30 days, but 6 weeks would be better in Copper. I am going through the same thing and I have been reading everything I can. My Majestic Angel and Clown are in QT with Coppersafe. Full infestation on the MA. Been 2 days and she is looking better.

With the life cycle of ich documented, it is apparent to me that ich is only vulnerable to copper in its free swimming stage--this being the reason why the cysts don't just fall off in the beginning and why a full 30 days is needed to be assured that all ich has been destroyed.

Also, I have noticed that over the years, the fallow period recommendation on the main tank has gone higher and higher as more knowledge of Crypt has been discovered. I am reading 8 weeks as the fallow period, but also have read that ich has been shown to live up to 72 days in a fishless system!!!

Back
Top Bottom