coral beauty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosslady

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a coral beauty that is hiding in the live rock for the last week. He only comes out to eat. Is this normal? I don't think he is sick. When he comes out I don't see anything on him.

Is this a new purchase? Aside from recommending quarantine for all new purchases, it is quite common for them to hide from your for a week or more when new. They have been through a very taumatic experience and must acclimate to aquarium life.

When I first got my Coral Beauty, he was definitely a shy fish. It took him a week or so to really get moving around the tank. Now all he does it pick at things on the rock and glass. I have no idea what he is eating (or what he thinks he is eating) but he is definitely my most active fish.

As Kevin suggests, give him some more time...

Is a Coral Beauty "Reef Safe" ?

Well technically, they are Reef safe with Caution. All Dwarf Angels seeme genetically programmed to nip and pick at things. However, my Coral Beauty has NEVER nipped at a coral. He will go up to them and look right at them, and then back off and go on to pick and a piece of LR or the glass. It is almost like he knows that the coral will hurt him so he doesn't even chance it.

So you just have to get lucky I suppose. Some Dwarfs will pick and corals while some wont.

have no idea what he is eating (or what he thinks he is eating) but he is definitely my most active fish.

You can say that again, Mine is all over the tank. At times he even looks like he is going to get stuck between the rocks. 8O

At times he even looks like he is going to get stuck between the rocks

A few weeks ago, he was swimming under a piece of LR. Well a hermit crab fell right off the rock and pinned him to the SB for a few seconds. After struggling a bit, he got right back up and started he usually "picking campaign" against the LR. Didn't even phase him. Great fish!!

:)

I love dwarf angels and I have had success with everyone I have owned in reefs. However, I have heard horror stories.

I got mine, in good shape, the next morning one of his fins (on the side) was chewed up a little. For the life of me I couldn't figure it out until last week my son in law said look at the crab, and lo and behold there was a crab that looked like he was a minature of the kind we eat. :D Got rid of him quick and the Coral beauty is looking good now. Never saw a fin heal up so quick. :D

My coral Beauty was very shy for the 1st week after introduction to my tank but in about 1-1/2 weeks later, he's swimming out every so often. he nips at everything and he's even cleaned of a good batch of algae from the rocks. That is their source of food so don't be alarmed if yours does that.

Enjoy that fish. That's why it's called a Coral Beauty! :wink:

michealprater said:
I love dwarf angels and I have had success with everyone I have owned in reefs. However, I have heard horror stories.

What kind of horror stories? Angels nipping at or eating corals?

Back
Top Bottom