Coral Beauty Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

franktobia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I got a coral beauty angel fish 3 days ago and he hasn't eaten. Today when I went to feed my fish I noticed it has ich. I don't know what to do since I don't have a QT tank to put it in.

I would guess the fish was stressed badly when you got it, and ich was the result.

I have had good results using a freshwater dip in these cases, but try to remove any causes for stress levels going forward.

What are the parameters in the system? Uncycled systems will lead to continued stress as ammonia and nitrite burn gills.
I would suggest a hospital system so the ich can be treated with hyposalinity or copper based medication. This will need to be through a 6 week period of fallow in the display to prevent the ich from continuing to live in the system.

What are the parameters in the system? Uncycled systems will lead to continued stress as ammonia and nitrite burn gills.
I would suggest a hospital system so the ich can be treated with hyposalinity or copper based medication. This will need to be through a 6 week period of fallow in the display to prevent the ich from continuing to live in the system.

Tank has been up since March so I think it's cycled. All parameters are good besides salinity being a bit high. I'm not gonna be able to get a hospital tank set up until thursday at the earliest, so would it be an issue if I kept him in the display tank til then.

If things are pristine and stable, fish can fight off issues on their own. It isn't very often...the sooner you can treat the higher chances of success and survival.

any update on how your coralbeauty is doing? Would like to know what treatment you went with.

any update on how your coralbeauty is doing? Would like to know what treatment you went with.

It ended up looking a lot better the day after I posted this. Two days later it was all gone. Not sure if my cleaner shrimp played a part or if the fish just fought it off on its own. I decided to treat the display tank with kick ich since i'm paranoid that some ich may still be in the tank even if it isn't on a host. I know stuff like kick ich has like a 50/50 at getting rid of ich 100 percent but I decided it would be the best option for me. Next up on the list is to get my coral beauty eating. Will have to make a separate post about this but i've tried shrimp flakes, brine pellets with garlic, omega one pellets, springula algae wafers, and green sea weed. I have not caught him eating any of these but both times i have tried algae wafers and sea weed, they were gone next day. But i'm pretty sure the crabs and snails got to it.

Ich has 3 stages of life. It lives in the sandbed, then starts swimming for a host fish. When they find a fish it'll enter the cyst phase. The cyst phase is the only phase where you can be seen.
Don't treat in the display with copper medication. It'll kill beneficial bacteria and prevent any inverts from being able to live I. The same tank with that rock and sand.
Herbal ich treatments aren't treatments, they are aimed at immune and slime coat boosting. By the time our fish are sick, it is usually too late for this to be effective.

my coral beauty does a lot of algae eating. The only flake she will eat is prime reef red flake. But every fish is different in there preference, She eats finely gratted shrimp.

my coral beauty does a lot of algae eating. The only flake she will eat is prime reef red flake. But every fish is different in there preference, She eats finely gratted shrimp.

every fish (and cleaner shrimp) love the prime reef red flakes besides the CB. I'm probably going to try some sort of mysis shrimp next.

my 3 pr. of CB go crazy for the red flake. I got rid of ick on my coral beauty with coppersafe in the QT tank. I bought one from Petco about 6 mon. ago with ick on it. I knew it had ick when I bought it. The fish was a very young one and spunky. So I knew I could save it. All the other ones they got in had ick and they were lg coralbeautys Theirs were all dead in 24 hrs. My baby one is going strong in a 50gal. Petco is the only shop on the Island. I catch 99.9% of all my fish. Once in a while Ill buy one. QT first.

Back
Top Bottom