Coral Beauty in quarantine not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AK_Salty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Coral Beauty in quarantine.... It has been in quarantine for approximately 6 weeks. I made the mistake of not watching it eat first, I got caught up in the fact that it was one of the nicest ones I had seen.
I placed it in my quarantine tank and observed it for about a week. During this time I tried many things to get it to eat. After a week, I started to notice it fins were starting to look like the early signs of fin rot. So I talked to my lfs and they suggested Kanaplex and to soak the food in garlic Xtreme. I completed a round as directed of kanaplex. After the kanaplex treatment I did a 50% water change. Then kept trying to get her to eat to no success
Then a week or so later I noticed her shaking her head and rubbing against the pvc hiding spots. After looking her over. I have never even seen one sign of ich... So I figured it was most likely gill flukes or an internal parasites... So I started a round of API general cure. After completing the treatment she seem much happier and swimming around generally perkier. At this point her color and her vibrancy are just amazing.... But won't eat... This is 4 weeks in at this point and have never observed her eating.
I'm lost at this point I haven't seen her eat... I have done several treatments no more head shaking. It's been 6 weeks now and now her fins are looking ragged again and I started kanaplex again... Hoping something will help. I don't know if all is lost at this point with her not eating so long. If anyone knows of anything else to do it would be appreciated.
My quarantine tanks is a 20g long.... I am using a fluVal cannister filter the filter media came out of my sump and the quarantine tank has been up and running for over 3 months now.. And this is my second fish that has been quarantined in this tank.... The first fish is happy and healthy and currently the king of my 125g Peninsula tank....
My water readings are
ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than 5
Ph 8.2
Kh 10 or 11
I use Ro/di water for water changes
And do them every other weekend or after treatments
Any suggestions would be appreciated or is 6 weeks to long to not eat and should expect to loose the fish soon.......

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm surprised that it isn't eating...coral beauty's are generally really hardy. There is ample room for it to hide and such? Might simply be situational stress?
What all have you tried to feed? Have you tried any algae strips or nori?

I am convinced they are really hardy... 6 weeks of not eating...
I currently try to feed it what I feed my main tank which is spiralina with brine shrimp with garlic Xtreme. I have tried Nori on a clip, Nori on a rock, and Nori broken up in small pieces and free floating.. I have tried regular mysis shrimp.. And also flaked food... She has acted like she was going for the food at times but the food goes right by her head or she dodges out of the way.
The quarantine tank is in a really low traffic location and the room is dim most of the time with only her tank light. I have it there to reduce stress. There are 2 large pvc T's and a rock cave in the tank for hiding. But it is common to see her out and swimming around.

In all honesty, I'm not sure what else to do in your case...you've treated for just about everything and parameters are fine along with water changes to ensure it. That is everything I would do to a QT tank for any sick fish.

Thank you for your response...I will continue on and hope something changes

I only wish I could give you mine out of my tank. He was a beautiful early on purchase that I'd love to trade out for something else at some point since he went postal on my pocillopora corals.

Back
Top Bottom