Coral help after heater broke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a heater issue yesterday....it failed on and the temp in my tank got above 95 degrees

Needless to say the corals didn't look so hot. As of today the zoo's and most of my mushrooms look good, my finger leathers skin looks wrinkled but the polyps are out and its standing up right again (it was almost laying horizontal last night) and the small Kenya tree I have looks okay, though it hasn't fully opened up yet today.

The problem seems to be with a bubble coral and an elegance. The bubble inflated a little when the lights came on but not really that much, and there doesn't seem to be much of anything left of the elegance. What has come out today on the elegance looks to be shedding.

Can any one think of anything I can do to try to help these guys so I don't lose them?

I plan on a water change, but I didn't have any made up (i just did a water change the day before) so it will be a few hours before that happens.

Should i try to feed the bubble and elegance solid foods? Cut back lighting? Should i leave it alone and let it run its course?

The fish in the tank (2 three stripe damsels and a yellow tang) are swimming around fine and the tang has been eating off his sea weed clip all morning

After something like that your corals will be quite stressed. Thankfully by the sounds of it no SPS (?) so all is not lost :wink:

A few good sized water changes with well aged SW will definately help but being as stressed as the corals will be, I'd also run carbon (swapped a few times) to remove the chemicals the corals will have given off in response to this. Don't feed anything to the corals directly, it will only add to their stress. Once (if depending on type) they start perking up, then I'd suggest a helping hand to aid in the recovery. For the most part though just try maintaining the water quality and keep DOC as low as possible. A liquid marine vitamin added after the carbon is done with will help.

Most of the soft corals should pull through but I would honestly not hold out hope for the elegence. If any of the softies start showing any signs of necrosis, be sure you clean it off and/or frag it. Once they start to degrade they usually fall fast but are often salvagable. Be very watchfull for brown jelly disease.

Cheers
Steve

I'm sorry to hear that Clamknuckle :( . How are they doing now? My best friend lost her two flowerpots and xenia during the hurricane (we are Central Florida). She was really depressed about it. Her temp was at 86-87 when she noticed it, but it was probabally an issue before she caught it since the power had been off for a few days. All of her other corals (softies) made it though. So did her fish. Anyways, I hope everything is ok now.

Back
Top Bottom