Coral problems :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nu-Nu the eel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys my corals look pretty bad right now... My button polyps that have been growing a ton are very deflated right now. Gsp is closed, zoas are closed, kenya tree is shedding i think..,.. And my lps isnt very extended. The temp is 80.8, nitrates are at ZERO! (hard to believe considering i hve a stocked 66 gallon tank) light is a 6 bulb t5, salinity is .027. Im thinking my problem is that i dont have a reef test kit.., i meant to get one a while ago but i never got around to dropping 50 bucks on it :( could my lfs test my calcium, magensium, etc?

All fish look great except for a few scratches from my goby... Please help me here!! Thanks :)

Okay i am going to do one today or tomorrow.. What information would be helpful?

Well the parameters are all zero which is wierd... The only real change is that the temp skyrocketed to 87 last night but we brought i down to 83 pretty quick... Now its at 81. We are going to get a chiller as soon as possible

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Well the parameters are all zero which is wierd... The only real change is that the temp skyrocketed to 87 last night but we brought i down to 83 pretty quick... Now its at 81. We are going to get a chiller as soon as possible

That right there is the problem. 87 is deathly high to most coral. Also the fact you brought it down pretty quick didnt help. Changes like that have to happen slowly. They wont tolerate fast and extreme changes.

Yeah thats way to hot and it needs to come down gradually and not immediately.

Ok thanks... Well is there anything i can/should do right now to help? Wow this is a bad day for fish tanks.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ok thanks... Well is there anything i can/should do right now to help? Wow this is a bad day for fish tanks.

Not really best thing you can do is keep temp as stable as possible along with your other parameters. Hopefully they will come around.

I need a chiller.... Going to try and find one tomorrow. This should solve all of my coral issues

Your naso is dead :(, my corals are suffering, my fox was scratched to heck, jakes nem was killed by his powerhead, there are probably more.

Jeez where have i been, i didnt hear about your tang crister. Or jakes nem, sorry for the losses:(

Too bad chris :/ well i have some good news! My button polyps seem to be bouncing back after i believed they were melting!

It was a terrible day for all of us! Jack did you ever get that chiller?

Back
Top Bottom