Corals Bleaching from base?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acallen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:fish2:I have a saltwater tank that I bought off of a friend of mine who propagated the coral himself. I've had it for about a year now, with no problems. No changes in chemistries or temperatures, coral healthy, and fish happy. I am starting to see however, the coral is bleaching at the base. What could be causing this? Again, no changes in temp, chems, etc.

1. Type & how long you have had it: Saltwater Reef, 1 year
2. Current lighting & Bulb Age: New
3. Nitrate: 0
4. Calcium: 350
5. Phosphate:
6. Alkalinity:
7. pH: 8
8. Salinity:
9. Temperature: 80

Sorry I didn't ask what size tank? that doesn't seem like enough light to bleach out corals unless the tank is small and/or the corals are placed too high up.

How many corals and what kind are they? Do you have a picture of your tank?

:-D

Corals in question are:

Green birdsnest
Green Acropora
Montipora Digitata
Orang Digitata

They are spaced throughout the tank, in different areas, so I dont think it is a water-flow issue. My tank is a 65-gal saltwater (RedSea).

I can definitely take a photo...

Ahhh SPS corals. I see what you mean now. I have a bushy arcopora that happened to. It turned white coming from the base up to the tip. Eventually the entire tip died. :-( It's still on my coral now, and the rest of it is fine. This happened to mine a few months ago. I was glad it didn't spread to the other arms...

All i can attain is its a bacterial thing... vibrio, maybe?

My lighting should be adequate, right?
234 total watts in a 65 gallon tank.

Yeah I can't see why it isn't enough light, they've been fine for over a year, up until now.

4. Calcium: 350
5. Phosphate:
6. Alkalinity:
7. pH: 8
8. Salinity:

I'm not sure if this is related to your problem or not, but calcium and pH could be higher (e.g., calcium 400-450ppm, pH 8.2-8.4). What's are your alkalinity, phospahate and salinity levels?

Back
Top Bottom