Crab Kabob anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sevise

Aquarium Advice Activist
While I was looking over my tank today, deciding wheather or not to vacuum I saw something odd in one of my caves. I saw a black claw reached out. I knew I had a rock crab from moltings, but this was the first time I had seen him. By the looks of it he was waiting for lunch to pass by. I lured him out with some shrimp and then got him with a scewer, not the most humane way to remove him but he had to go.

HPIM0300.JPG

:? Could have caught him and traded it to the LFS for a few reef hermits, or just given it to them. This hobby involves keeping life, not taking it. Poor crab :cry:

There's been quite a bit of invertcide on these boards lately.. 8O

What's wrong with keeping him? Wouldn't he be a good scavenger.

What's wrong with keeping him? Wouldn't he be a good scavenger.
That one in the picture is a carnivore, would eventually start taking out fish.
Many LFS will take unwanted inverts. Took my mantis to my LFS, now he has his own nano right up in the counter. :)
I agree with Lando. :( Better ways to handle it.

I am about to undertake the task of removing a mythrax crab from mine. He has gotten so big hes starting to move some of my corals around. Im going to try all i can without killing him, but if i must than i must.

This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.

and how can u tell he is a carnivore just by looking at him ?

thats a stone crab ! and yes it will catch anything and eat it ! i had one dig under the screen tank divider and eat a sea bunny of all things ! also they love hermits !
at least eat him lol

he's a killer !
I do the same...
most LFS dont' want these guys...
unless it's to feed their triggers and puffers !

I have alot of those guys.

A fish store taken a Mantis shrimp is one thing. People Like mantis shrimps. A fish store taken a killer hitchiker is another thing all together. I doub't any around me would do it.

I am not against your killing the crab to remove it. I take mine out and flush 'em myself. Which, when you think about it, is much more cruel than what you do.

by the way...how did you manage to spear the shell like that? It's gotta be really tough.

I have an objection to the photo itself, being posted here. For those of us that do what we can to avoid killing the subjects in our tanks, it is rather gruesome to see what some others will do......

sumps are a nice place for those guys.

good point about the sump I cant see killing anything in my tank unless it is sick and dying without hope for recovery then i would take it out of its misery

I've got at least a couple of these crabs in my tank. The worst damage they seem to be doing is peeling coraline algae off the rocks and digging new holes in the LR. The coraline grows back almost immediately.

Maybe someday they will get a fish. Maybe not. I've got a mini ecosystem in there. Nature is sometimes cruel. It's tough. Personally, that is what I'm going for.

Back
Top Bottom