Damage on Fiji Toadstool Leather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Fiji Toadstool Leather is displaying some damage on the lower portion of its body. These links lead to two pictures of the problem, it seems like a small abrasion or tear with slime or mucus coming from it. Any ideas as to what this might be and if it needs treated?

Its possible the leather was damaged. The only water problem that might cause for this I can think of is a large Bubble Tipped Anemone died in my tank. I cleaned the tank and siphoned out most of the corpse and its slime residue and have filtration running at max with dual protien skimmer to try to get out any possible waste.

http://www.dclhomeworks.com/damage1.JPG
http://www.dclhomeworks.com/d2.JPG

The reason the coral is not fully opened up is because the picture was taken at night.

i had the exact same coral that displayed decay.. a few days later the mucus was all over it and the flesh was black... it died a few days later..

is that powerhead blowing water right over it?

when the lights are on it opens across the top 1/2 but not below where the spot is. At night it opens all around like it normally would.

i'd try doing something that you would if you wanted to frag it.. slice the piece that is decaying off and it might encourage new healthy growth..

can someone correct me if im wrong?

matt,

that is what I ended up doing. I emailed James Fatheree of TFH magazine and to my suprise he emailed me back right away. Props to James for being a great friend to our hobby!!! Anyhow he included a detailed article and made the same suggestion as you ... Any ideas of special care the coral might need to recover?

I dont believe so.. just make sure the water is in excellent condition.. keep up water changes and make sure you monitor your levels of ammonia, calc, ph, etc..

good luck

Back
Top Bottom