Damaged Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
As you can see in the photo, my Red & Black Sea Star is pretty damaged. It has lost two of it's limbs. I couldn't figure out what happened, but I finally caught my Clarkii nipping the star. My Clarkii is very aggressive and will attack anything that goes near his BTA.

I was wondering whether this star will recover? Does clowns behave in such an unusual way? And whether I should keep starfish in the future?

I think I've heard that clarkis can be a little agressive sometimes. I certainly wouldn't doubt it if the star was encrouching on the clowns host anenome.

The star should recover, they can regrow an entire leg if necessary.

How long have you had the star. IMO the leg that is dissolvong looks like it could have been from acclimation issues. If this is the case it will most likely not recover. If it is damage caused by the clown then as stated above they are capable of repairing lost/damages limbs.

When I got my last shipment of live rock there was a serpent star missing all but 2 legs in with the rock. I put him in the tank anyway. That was two months ago and last week I found him in my sump with 3 tiny new legs. Pretty hardy beasts.

how long can it take be fore acclimation issues will show up? i have a linkia that i driped for 14.5 hours and i dont know if that was good. and he has been in the tank for a week now and is doing great.

WarOrks15 said:
how long can it take be fore acclimation issues will show up?

From what I've read and experienced if they make it 2 weeks they are good for the most part. Not to discourage you but my 2 blue's lasted about a week each with 8 hour drip acclimating. Hopefully you're luckier than I was :wink:

I have had it for over two weeks now and I drip acclimated it for 3 hours. The first sign of this problem is a cut across one of it's legs. I thought the emerald crab might had a go at it. But then I saw the Clarkii attacking it until the second leg is missing. That was 3 days ago. Nothing more has gone missing since and the star has decided to stick to the glass and not been down to the sand or LR, but is moving around on the glass.

Did you or the LFS touch the star with a bare hand? I have been told and seen linkia stars that have been touched die after a short period. They will start to "melt" where they were touched... Nothing that I know of can help this problem. The oils from our skin hurt the star somehow.

i dont know. i knwo the one i got (i picked it out of the tank) i opicked up with my hand. it has only been a week since he has been added to the tank and seem to be doing fine. i was sure not to let him hit any air going in and out of the bag. he moves very slow but some times he can fly down the glass and on to a rock.

I and the LFS used a net. However, I did let it hit the air when moved out of the bag. But he has been doing fine for over two weeks before being in such a state.

Nop, and it is probably because the star has moved away from the BTA.

Back
Top Bottom