Damsel died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I did something monumentally stupid...
I added a sponge to my sump so that the pump wasn't so loud. Did this last night and worked beautifully, very quite.

This morning when I got up and took a look at the tank, the 2 damsels, that my husband had to have, were dead.
I am thinking it had to be the sponge. So I took the sponge out and one of the dead fish, I couldn't get to the other.

What have I done to the water? Should I plan on changing it out since I don't know that is in it?

Any help would be appreciated.

"Feeling really stupid"

Hold on a sec. It could be a number of things. Don't get offended by any of the questions.

Was the sponge used?
Was it used to clean anything?
How old is your tank?
What size is it?
How long have you had the damsels?

Don't worry I don't get offended easily! haha!

The sponge was brand new, right out of the package.
I rinsed it in tap water and placed it in the sump tank.
The tanks was set up Saturday, keep in mind that it was a used tank and the media was still good and I had about 1/2 of the water saved from the move.
It is 75 gallons
Damsels were added Sunday along with an additional 51 lbs of LR
The tank came with about 25lbs of LR

What lead me to believe the sponge was the issue is that is what was added.
The fish seemed fine when I went to bed.
Any advise or ideas would be great! Thanks!

I do not think it had anything to do with the sponge. It could be an acclimation issue or a water qualtiy issue. Please post all water parameters...temp, ph, SG, amonia, nitrite, nitrate. This will allow us to gain a better understanding of what is going on and help you out. Soory about the fishies :cry:

Uh OH!
Damsels were added Sunday along with an additional 51 lbs of LR

I am 99% sure it was not the sponge. Sounds like you had an ammonia spike. When adding new fish it must be done slowly so that the bacteria has time to build up. Bu I don't even think that was the problem, although it added to it. I think the problem was the LR. Do you know about curing LR? Was it cured? Even if itwas it could have had some die off, and caused and ammonia spike.

Have you tested for Ammonia, or Nitrites?

Here is the list, I have been testing every day!

11/7 PH - 8.2 Ammonia - .50 Nitrate - 10 Nitrite - 10
11/8 PH - 8.2 Ammonia - .75 Nitrate - 0 Nitrite - 0
11/9 PH - 8.2 Ammonia - .25 Nitrate - 0 Nitrite - didn't test
Salinity - 1.023 - has stayed constant and the temp. 74 degrees

I tested the ammonia first thing this morning when I saw what has happened and it was at .25. - didn't do the other test, yet!

I realize that the sponge thing might not be it, but I am still wondering, is there are certain kind that I should have bought? I just picked one up at the grocer?!

Thanks for all the help, I really do appreciate it, as I want this to be a great tank! and will do what it takes to make that happen! Whew! Are we having fun yet, haha!

Sounds like the rock and new fish contributed to the ammonia spike on Monday. I'm sure there was some die off from the new 51 lbs of rock. I'd wait until the ammonia is at zero befoee adding any more fish.

I also believe there was an acclimation issue. 'Specially since the new rock may have caused some issues and the water the new fish came from was so different than yours. How didja acclimate anyway?

Considered a small, maybe 20g QT tank? :soap: I'd recommend new fish go there first anyway. Also, sponges from the grocer may have chemicals in it. Be very cautious about buying off the shelf sponges. 0X

Good luck.

After you get things running good, you will not have to test so often. That would drive you nuts! 8O

IMO, you had an ammonia spike, that killed them. Your ammonia level, as well as Nitrite should be 0. Also do you have a heater? This was not the cause, but you need to warm the tank up to around 78 degrees.

You need to do whatever it takes to get the other damsel out. The longer it stays in the longer it will take to get your water back on track. I would suggest a large water change of about 30-35g of water. Then test
again. Your ammonia level will probably be quite high, with the dead fish in there.

Sorry for the losses.

To answer a couple of the questions...
The live rock was cured, however I am seeing 2 Aptasia anemones that have to come out.
I have 2 heaters in the sump tank, so those can just be turned up a little.
As for the acclimation, I placed the bags in the top of the tank and started added a little tank water every 30 minutes or so over 2 1/2 hours, then released them.

I did have a red crab that was in the original LR, any ideas if he could survive? Haven't see him in a couple of days, but no surprise there, he was coming out at night anyway. Also snails?

So, I will get the other fish out (somehow) and change the water (30 gallons) and see where we go from there. My Nitrate level should come up - eventually - though, correct?

I was planning on setting up a QT tank and thought since I was still cycling that the damsels would be OK?! I hate that they died, however it did keep the peace in my house hold, since my husband was bound and determined to get a couple of fish...
The work begins.

Thank you sooooo much for the help.

and thought since I was still cycling that the damsels would be OK?!

Of course, the general thought is not to cycle with fish. Once you do get setup though, it may be a good idea for peppermint shrimp to keep the aptasia at bay.

Peppermint shrimp are part of the plan.

As for the Damsels, I am not going to begin to make excuses... It was not something that I wanted to do. My husband has never had a Salt Water Tank before and it was driving him crazy to not have any fish. So while picking up the LR Sunday, I gave in and said OK. I was concerned from the beginning, however I really thought that I could get them to make it. I know it's not fair to the fish, but 15 years ago when I first started a Salt Tank, that was the way you cycled, there wasn't all this LR available and we just didn't know any better.
It's so great that this hobby has changed so much for the better!

I can't thank everyone enough for helping me though this problem.

Your patience and knowledge is very much appreciated!

Don't worry about things. I am a husband, a big baby, and a whiner! I know how persuasive we can be :lol: You learned a great lesson without too much damage to your fish or checkbook. Chalk it up to experience and consider youself lucky you did not loose more expensive fish. Let your tank even out for a couple of weeks and then see how are things are. As always, your questions are more then welcome here. Lando

"I am a husband, a big baby, and a whiner! I know how persuasive we can be"

lando, thanks for the honesty! haha! your right on the persuation!

Since this has happened, perhaps he will settle down some, not to mention we are out of town for Thanksgiving and he won't be able to see the tank "with no fish" haha!

Quick Question, how do crabs handle an ammonia spike? I have one in the tank, somewhere, just wondering if he is OK?

Don't worry about things. I am a husband, a big baby, and a whiner! I know how persuasive we can be
Not me!! :wink: :lol: 8O
Just kidding.
The crab should be fine. They are like cockroaches, they can live through most anything. Thats why we get so many hitchhiker crabs. :)

Back
Top Bottom