Damsel illness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mollesandra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have four damsels in my tank, one of which is considerably smaller than the others (Ophelia), and tends to hang out by itself under the protein skimmer. I don't know if this is the reason for its apparent illness or not, but I thought it might.
All the fish had been quarantined and treated for ick, and have recovered just fine, however a few days later Ophelia became unusually pale and rather transparent. She remained this way all day, so I have quarantined her without treatments. It has been two days, but she is no better. I have also noticed a reddish patch just behind her head under the skin. What could this be? I am very worried about Ophelia, so any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

What are the water parameter? Temp, PH, ammonia, etc. How long has she been in the tank?

The water is between 79-82 degrees Fahrenheit, I'm not certain what the pH and ammonia levels are, I had them tested at Curious Creatures and was told they are "normal". She has been in the tank for about 3 weeks.

You should think about investing in a few test kits. This way you can frequently test your water parameters. Water quality should be a main concern when trying to keep fish healthy. You will notice a trend that when someone has a sick fish and asks for advice, the first thing they ask for is the water parameters.

Good luck with Ophelia. Either get some kits or have the lfs give you the exact numbers and post them here. The adivsors and other knowledgable hobbiest here will probably be able to pinpoint the problem and help you nurse (her?) back to health.

Back
Top Bottom