Damsel problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hanahandbluey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys my damsel fish keeps on dying and it always starts with a wound... See photo.. I don't know how to cure them or how to prevent them from getting it.. Please advise??

image-2030029431.jpg

Those are chromis not damsel very close to the same though... How large is your school because when i had a school of the blue/green chromis the adult dominant male would always beat up the next biggest chromis to keep him in check I'm thinking which resulted in similar wounds due to the attacks and the fish rubbing on the rocks due to stress...IMO id never put another chromis or damsel in any of my tanks ever again..the little demon fish haha

Those are chromis not damsel very close to the same though... How large is your school because when i had a school of the blue/green chromis the adult dominant male would always beat up the next biggest chromis to keep him in check I'm thinking which resulted in similar wounds due to the attacks and the fish rubbing on the rocks due to stress...IMO id never put another chromis or damsel in any of my tanks ever again..the little demon fish haha

I second that, lol. Although he does have a Damsel in his avatar, just not in the attached pic.

From Wikipedia....

Chromis is a genus of fish in the family Pomacentridae. While the term Damselfish describes a group of marine fish larger than just one genus, most damselfish are in the genus Chromis. These fish are popular aquarium pets due to their small size, tolerance for poor water quality, and bright colors.

and see this.... Blue-green Chromis, Green Chromis, Chromis viridis

How many did you start out with. It is true sometimes that that dominant male will kill off others sometimes. Mostly, they do fine in a group, but I have had them die one by one. Started with 5 and ended up with 3.

Are you cycling with them by any chance?

Consider cardinal fish or scissor tail gobies as they are both very easy and peaceful fish that school well also. Chromis never seemed to last too long IME.

Thanks guys.. They seem to be very nice to each other at first... And then I found out that they kill each other.. Maybe I do have to buy another kind of fish

My favorite is the zebra barred dartfish the school nicely and are very peaceful

Back
Top Bottom