DEAD CHROMIS!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4inchSandBed

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought 3 blue/green chromis yesterday and this morning i woke up and found one chromis dead and being eaten by my hermits and cleaner shrimp. The other 2 are missing i think their hiding somehwere in the live rocks. Is this normal behavior for hermits and cleaner shrimp? It looks like a buffet, about 5 hermits all ontop and picking at the dead chromis. Should i remove it from the tank?

Yes, it is normal behavior. Their job is to clean up the mess. It is always best to remove any dead animals when you see them. There is no reason to risk degrading water parameters. All levels okay?

i cant seem to find the left over remains of the chromis. But i did see something odd hiding in the rocks and I am concerned its a Mantis Shrimp (not sure i spelled it right) can anyone post a pic so i can determine if i have one. Maybe thats what killed the chromis. thanks

it could very well be a mantis, i never personally had one, but have seen them, they kind of look like crayfish, and they got big bug eyes, pretty nasty looking. I know they make a knocking sound as well. Did you find your other two chromis, there is a good chance that he got them too. I would set a trap, get the xterminator trap from petsolutions.com. but for now set the coke bottle trap, cut the end off and put a raw shrimp in, then put the top back on but flip it over so it creates like a funnel. Lean it up against the rock where you saw him last. I would do this ASAP, unless you want your other fish and inverts to be dinner. Good luck, some people may actually want to buy him off of you.

The Green Chromis is a close relative to the common (and pesky) Damsel fish. Unlike Damsels the Green Chromis is very social. They need to be kept in groups of a least five or more. Early mortality is common with with these iridescent fish if conditions are otherwise. About the Mantis Shrimp... they are nocturnal and rarely leave their cave. They are almost impossible to remove. I said almost, this is TRIED AND TRUE; how to remove a Mantis Shrimp.
1. Pull out the rock (carefully) and place in a bucket.
2. Fill with water.
3. Place a powerhead in the bucket.
4. Fire at will.
The Mantis should come out right away. Pull the rock and the power head out. Be very careful bagging him up (they can snap of a human finger with one snip). Either freeze him, or let the local fish community know you have one, some people enjoy keeping them.

FISHISM said:
The Green Chromis is a close relative to the common (and pesky) Damsel fish. Unlike Damsels the Green Chromis is very social. They need to be kept in groups of a least five or more. Early mortality is common with with these iridescent fish if conditions are otherwise.

I have had a sole green chromis and blue damsel in my tank for over six months now and they both look really healthy and are getting larger.

If it is a mantis, i would get a 10 gal and keep him. Mantis shrimp are awsome, a fully grown mantis has the strike comparable to a .22 gauge rifle. If you do end up finding him ill pay you for it.

Back
Top Bottom