dead coral beauty angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nosaj81

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i have a Coral Beauty Angel fish and a Yellow Tang that were looking fine yesterday swimming and eating, today we wake up and the sally lightfoot crab was munching on the angel all other fish seem to be hiding wondering if the crab would have killed it or would it be the coral banded shrimp i have seen him go after other fish but never caught them dont want to loose another fish need some help the tang also not swimming checked all the levels and they are all normal

i have 2 leather toadstools and a piece of plate coral but the beauty has been in our tank for aover a month with no problem, the only thing is we had a seal blow out on our old aquarium last sunday and had to replace it and now this sunday this happens

another question can i use tap water with the conditioner for an emergency water change

Probably the fish died and the cuc was just doing its job. As far as tap water with conditioner, that is fine. I know plenty of people that use tap water. You might begin to develop algae because there are higher nutrients in tap water. But for emergency it should be fine.

well my tang just died did a 30% water change the rest of the fish look all right but who knows all parameters are in the green im at a loss

What size tank do you have? How long had the tang and beauty been in? When you say the parameters are good what were they?

the tang was in for a couple days the beauty was over a month its a 65 gallon tank ammonia 0 nitrites 0 calcium is 420 kh 11

Did either fish have any marks on them or anything out of the ordinary physically? Did you happen to qt the tang before you put it in? They are very easily stressed especially in small tanks. Sometimes ich can present itself due to stress.

Your water seems spot on..any chance of a ph or temperature swing?

I'd be concerned for the rest of your stock...

no there were no spots on any of the fish i am new to salt water and did not have a qt tank i do now got one from the mother in law ph is at 8 where it has been since i purchased the tank this tank has been up for a week but we had another tank that we bought used and set up they had it for 5 years we had to set this one up as the last one had a seal blow last week end

My guess is the tank transfer had something to do with the deaths. Did you trade the sand over? You should either use new sand or rinse the heck outta the old sand, especially if its established as alot of nasties can be released in the sand transfer. What are your nitrates? Usually they sky rocket when you transfer a tank over.

Putting new fish in a new setup can be the problem. especially with tangs as they are very very touchy.

I would monitor the water and if anything rises do an immediate water change.

What all do you have left alive?

we used new live sand as i know it would increase nitrites and plus there as a 3" bristle worm in the old tank the nitrates show nothing
we have 2 percila clowns a tomato clown they do get along fine a yellow tale damsel a purple dotty back, an eel blenny, a zebra dart goby 5 hermet crabs a coral banded shrimp and a sally light foot crab also there are some snails and str fish

In my opinion I would wait a couple weeks for your tank to settle back in. The absence of nitrates makes me wonder if youre not gonna go thru a mini cycle, especially with the bioload of all those fish. I assume you moved over the live rock you had in the tank that broke? It's a fine line in saltwater unfortunately....

I;m really sorry your fish didn't make it...Just keep an eye on them for any heavy breathing or fish at the top of the water looking for air.

Are you using test strips or an API liquid kit? The terst strips are so inaccurate I hate that they even sell them.

As a backup is it possible for you to bring a water sample toyou local fish store for testing, just to make sure what you've come up with is what they also show. I can understand the tang passing, but the beauty was stable in the last tank and you've had her for a few months.

What size tank broke on you just out of curiousity? I'm trying to be as helpful as I can cause nothingis worse than loosing fish and not knowing the why and if it will happen again.

I lost 6 fish within a weeks time a few months ago and everything was testing fine. I believe the blue craibbean tang I added caused my deaths bt it wasnt ich or velvet. They just stopped eating and the hid and were dead within 24 hours. It's just terrible!

What kind of tang did you have in there? Some are more notorious for being sensitive than others.

i took a sample last night and everything was good and when i took the yellow tang up there today to see what my options were they tested again and everything was normal then as well. it was a 40 gallon tank that broke but there was over 70 lbs of rock in it so i should be good for the 65 gallon thanks for your help i appreciate it alot the guys at the lfs said the gills look red but everything was testing good so there were stumped and said it was probably a parasite and told me the best way to git ris of it would be a bunch of small water changes through out the week

If thats the case I would have to agree with water changes. it can help oust a parasite, BUT you may not be able to get them all.

if worse comes to worse, I know its a pain to do, but you can move your fish into a qt and treat them for parasites there. But theres stillthe chance that the parasite could remain in your tank and reinfect the fish again.

The red gills is also a sign of ammonia poisoning as well just so you know. I woudl watch those fish like a hawk.

And not to be off topic, but a yellow tang for sure does not belong in that small of a tank, not sure why your LFS would recommend one or sell it to you unless he didnt know what size tank it was going in. Most tangs require at least a 125g 6 foot long tank. Some like the Kole tangs can be ok in a 75g but theres only a select few that should be in that size.

The tang may have come in with the parasite or the stress of the new home and the tank size could have made the parasite present itself.

Again, so sorry about your losses. It does happen though and it sucks.

well they knew the size of the tank as i asked if the tang would do good in the tank and they told us yes it would do fine i have heard alot of bad things about big als in barrie so i have decided i will not buy any more stuff from them i will take trips to other lfs in the area this is very upsetting but we will rebound and the red gills i know i have had freshwater tanks for years

thanks for your help

I wish I could have done more or had a definitive answer for you.

I travel over an hour sometimes in all sorts of directions from my house to go to decent reputable shops. Alot of stores only want your money and figure you'll just come back and buy more fish when they die. I;ve seen shops sell a blue tang and yellow tang to a guy with a bicocube. LOL

Just scope out your options.

Good luck, and keep an eye on those last fish. let us knwo if anything else happens...

I had $200 worth of fish die in the matter of days and my params were PERF! BUT my salinity was soooo high that it crashed everything.. Do you have a hydrometer or a refractometer?

Looks like we might lose the purple dotty back not doing much still breathing but not much else I have her in a breeding net and she's just at the top :( but all the other fish seem to be doing better

Back
Top Bottom