dead jawfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle421

Aquarium Advice Freak
my jawfish died today. he was fine when i left for work at 9:30, and when i got home at 6 he was dead. and not only dead, but eaten in half. :cry: i dont know what happend. I checked all my parameters last night and everything was fine. i do have about 6 or so hitch-hiker crabs three of which are getting pretty big. i know i dont have a mantis. i have two hitch-hiker pistols, a peppermint, and a camel shrimp, and the usual hermits and snails, and one little percula. do you think it was the crabs?

Crabs will eat anything that is dead or almost dead. My Sally lightfott knew my scotts fairy was sick after he jumped out of the tank and it went right after him grabbing his tail. Crabs can be nasty...
healthy fish should do well with the crab selection you have.

You said he was acting sluggish, IME when fish keel over after recent purchase and a time period of listlessness, they usually had some kind of bacterial infection or something wrong with them that I didn't know about. SO IMHO your fish probably died of something like that, and after he um... rejoined the circle of life, he became crab bait. Crabs will move very quickly on any dead critters. HTH

i dont think he was sick though, just shy. i dont know, maybe they took advantage of that and he was too scared to come out from the rock to get away from them. all in all it was a tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom