disintegrating mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidafius

Aquarium Advice Freak
what would cause mushrooms to start dying and disintegrating? My anenome's look good, the snails, polyps, leather, toadstool, fish, and pods all look good, as well as the formia and other 2 stars. Will a high SG kill them off? My SG got up to 2.65 the other day because I had to work so much that I had no time to make RO water, and I lost about 4 gallons of top off to evaporation. anyone have any clues?

it may not be dying. I have a mushroom that looks like crap for about three weeks now. I thought it was dying. Turns out it is splitting. Actually one mushroom is turning into 3. So maybe it isn't dyin.

no, its disintegrating and getting all stringy and stuff, almost like salt on a slug.

Interesting note, I just saw two strange worms near the affected area. They are about a ball point pen's pont in diameter and are segmented with alternating black(or some really dark brown), and white segments. Anything familiar?

they look almost like serpent star legs, but are more consistant in diameter and do not have the little cilia-features.

bristle worms??? they are reef safe, but can be huge.. do a search on this site.. there was a long forum topic about them somehwree here.

8O
OMG!!! Ok, I mentioned a while back that I got a metallic green mushroom rock with a hitchhiker green brain. The brain is now about 2 inches long and about 1/2" thick(from rock to tip of top). I have seen some small threadlike tenticles sticking out, but they were less than an inch in length. Also, there is a wicked looking sponge thing growing from one of the rocks. Its light lime in color, like lime sorbet, and its tubular. Its "fingers" go in several directions, but that rock does happen to be the most infected. Or the center of origin, as it would appear. I just wouldn't think a sponge to be deadly.

The brain could be puttin out sweeper tentacles and stinging the shrooms. Otherwise I would look at other predation, possibly a shroom eating nudi...

Interesting note, I just saw two strange worms near the affected area. They are about a ball point pen's pont in diameter and are segmented with alternating black(or some really dark brown), and white segments.
those are the only alien critters i've seen. ring any bells?

Back
Top Bottom