Do fins "break"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello forum. Got another specific question that I'm not finding definitive answers for.

My yellow tang came out of QT about a month and a half ago, she had some nip marks in her fins from the damsel that I returned to LFS, but those have since healed up. After moving her to the main and letting her negotiate the pecking order with my Indian Yellowtail Angel, there is a 1/2" section of her dorsal fin where about 1/8" of the fin looks bent over or broken. It appears as if the cartilage is "creased".

I treat weekly with vitamins and she eats lots of seaweed and spirulina, a good diet. She is also recovering from what I'm pretty sure was HLLE. Will the fins eventually "repair" from a break, the same way they do from nips, or is this something she will always have? It shouldn't prevent her from being otherwise healthy, should it?

Thanks in advance,
--Aquabear.

It should eventually look normal again although I couldn't tell you how long. The only time the finnage will not regrow/repair itself is usually when there is actually bone damage. Soft tissue/cartilage will typically bounce back.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom