Does my clown have ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antec

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-3940389772.jpg

I just fed them for the first time today( 1 mysis cube) and they didn't seem to like it. They would swallow it and spit it back up

It may cant really tell from the photo but if it has white spots its most likely ick. If your talking about near the dorsal fin behind the first white strip it may look like it but i cant tell from that photo.

Yea that's where it is. Could that be why it didn't eat the mysis?

Could I just soak the food in garlic?

And would my cleaner shrimp remove the ich?

Sorry for the double post.

Cleaner shrimp don't remove ich. I dont think that garlic cures ich but only can help prevent it by building up an immune system, even if it did work if the fish is not eating it wont help. You could buy a product like paraguard or do hypo salinity, but both methods are not invert safe.

Antec said:
Could I just soak the food in garlic?

And would my cleaner shrimp remove the ich?

Sorry for the double post.

Garlic does not cure ich. Your options are hypo-salinity or copper treatment. In both cases you need a small quarantine tank if you have any inverts/corals or plan for future inverts/corals.

Cleaner shrimp as stated will not remove ich.

Is it possible for it to go away by itself? Last night I turned off the lights, and i just woke and see that he only has one or two spots.

I let the temp go up to bout 81-82f last night cuz I heard raising temp can kill the bacteria. Could this be why most of the spots went away?

I guess its possible it will go away by itself but very unlikely. It will ultimately kill the clown, and can spread to the other one and any other fish inside the tank.

Antec said:
Is it possible for it to go away by itself? Last night I turned off the lights, and i just woke and see that he only has one or two spots.

I let the temp go up to bout 81-82f last night cuz I heard raising temp can kill the bacteria. Could this be why most of the spots went away?

No what you seeing is the next stage of the cycle where the ich falls off. They incubate and reproduce during this time. It will return in greater numbers.

Im sorry but elevated temp does not kill bacteria and ich is not a bacteria. Elevated temp speeds up the ich cycle, right now your only increasing thier numbers faster.

Ich will not magically go away by itself. As long as you had a host in your tank you will have it unless you treat it with the 2 known cures, hypo-salinity or copper.

So, what is easier, copper or hyposalinity? And how do I do which ever is easier?

And I'm guessing my DT will be Ich free by the time I put the clowns back in?

Schism is giving you the right advice, hypo or copper for hypo though you'll need a refractometer to be sure the salinity is correct for the copper you'll need a copper test kit. I like to use cupramine because its gentler on the fish. do not use either in your display tank as it will kill inverts and corals you will need to keep your main tank empty for about 6 weeks to be sure the ich is dead. FYI cleaner shrimp won't work because the ich is under the skin of the fish where it can't be reached by the shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom