Does my clown need glasses?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A little while back, I was worried about one of my clowns. She was not behaving like normal. She would stay in one corner of the tank and swim in place vertically. Well, she has gotten better, but now I think there is something wrong with her eyes. When she was sick I noticed that she "bumped" into things and now over the last day or 2, I have noticed that she doesn't seem to know where the food is when I feed. Its almost like she is guessing. She will swim at the surface and take some pecks, but she completely misses the food. I even tried to dangle a piece in front of her and she didn't seem to notice it. Whats going on here?

Thats what i was afraid of. I don't think she has completely lost her vision, she can tell if my hands or anything else are in the tank but im worried about how she will eat. ANy one know what i can do?!

well clown sleeps in the corner of the tank like you had said . but as for it sight, is she new to the tank. or she just dose not want to eat.

The clown has been in my tank for about 6 months now. She wasn't sleeping when she was swimming up and down vertically...This was a very different behavior than she had shown normally. She is swimming better and her other symptoms have gone away. She seemed to be fine for about a month and now i am noticing that she tries to eat, but doesn't seem to know where the food is.

The clown reacting to your hand must be from the shadow it casts....I'm sure if it is, at least partly bind, can see shadows.... :(

So, will she be able to survive? Im not sure how long she has been like this, she looks healthy so far. How am I supposed to feed her? I haven't noticed any signes of starvation, but I haven't seen her eat the last 3 days i have fed her. I guess i just have to wait this out and see how she progresses :(

When my betta was sick, and just laid on the gravel, I netted him but kept him underwater. I then put food in the net with him, and he did eat. That way he didn't have to put any effort into eating. I did this a few times, then he died after about a week. :cry:

You may (or may not) want to try this -- netting can be stressful, and I'm sure netting a betta is not at all like trying to maneuver through live rock to get the clown. I hope the clown gets better.

Back
Top Bottom