Dont know how or why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crystal A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am having a problem with my corals. Figured I would post more about it in the sick fish section.

On about the 21st of December my hammer coral started to recede as well as my pearl bubble and mushrooms. The pearl has since come back but the hammer and mushrooms are gone. The only change to the tank was downsizing ph from a 750 to 2-240 in an effort to get rid of dead spots. I have since put the old one back in and the pearl came back.

Now the hammer and mushrooms once receded had this brown dusty looking stuff as well as what looked like coils on them. They literally died in a matter of 2-3 days it was that fast. I am at a total loss as to what it is but I am now noticing that my zoas seem to have this dusting on them as well. My leather and frogspawn seem to be shrinking to. I'm afraid I'm haveing some sort of infection. I have searched high and low with no luck so I am turning to all of you experts out there. The fish are fine as well as the inverts just seems to be the corals.

Now the specs and pics
28g nano- mh lights- 10months old
Ph-8.0
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Phos-0
Cal-400
Kh-107.4
Salinity-1.024
Pwc done once a week 3gallons at a time. Just got an rodi filter but have been using ro from the machine at the grocery store. Thanks to anyone who has any ideas as to what it could be. :)

Attachments

• image-3301659071.jpg
    image-3301659071.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 119
  • image-1448721597.jpg
    image-1448721597.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 145
  • image-2511255923.jpg
    image-2511255923.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 124
  • image-2970021603.jpg
    image-2970021603.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 122
  • image-2170448727.jpg
    image-2170448727.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 120
  • image-2939550899.jpg
    image-2939550899.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 130
  • image-4223094400.jpg
    image-4223094400.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 132
Faye I did thought it might be the lights the only thing was the other corals were fine. They are metal halide. As well 54 seaweed the corals did fine for three weeks before the hammer literally started to fall apart. Would something like flow change cause a rather large size coral to disintegrate in two or three days? The shrooms just shriveled up into nothing. Also when a coral dies does that brown dusty looking stuff always happen?

Faye I did thought it might be the lights the only thing was the other corals were fine. They are metal halide. As well 54 seaweed the corals did fine for three weeks before the hammer literally started to fall apart. Would something like flow change cause a rather large size coral to disintegrate in two or three days? The shrooms just shriveled up into nothing. Also when a coral dies does that brown dusty looking stuff always happen?

Isn the alk low?

Things seem better now. The leather has shed which was quite neat. The bubble coral has come back to its usuall self and the frogspawn is doing better. All and all things are looking up. I lost the hammer and a few mushrooms. Note to self don't change up flow again. :).

Things seem better now. The leather has shed which was quite neat. The bubble coral has come back to its usuall self and the frogspawn is doing better. All and all things are looking up. I lost the hammer and a few mushrooms. Note to self don't change up flow again. :).

Flow shouldnt have caused the death ive changed my flow a few times tryin to find the best overall flow for my tank and nothing has shown any signs of stress and im using a ton of flow i have 2 -koralla 8 which is 3200 gph a piece

I went from a 750 to 2-240's. I downsized. The funny thing was they were fine for three weeks and then bam the hammer started to die. It happened really fast to. It literally decayed in a matter of 4 days. I had to remove it so it didn't foul my water. The mushrooms just shriveled up into nothing. Things are looking up now so that's good.

I went from a 750 to 2-240's. I downsized. The funny thing was they were fine for three weeks and then bam the hammer started to die. It happened really fast to. It literally decayed in a matter of 4 days. I had to remove it so it didn't foul my water. The mushrooms just shriveled up into nothing. Things are looking up now so that's good.

Huhm sorry to hear hope works out

I also suspect phosphate is greater than zero. Many test kits don't read accurately at low levels. .05 is considered good while .1 will cause many of my sensitive corals to close up.

Could be right. I just got a rodi filter for Christmas so that should take care of that. I was useing the stuff from the machines at the grocery store. Now I have my own pearsonal really expensive water filter! Lol :)

Back
Top Bottom