Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-31-2021, 01:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6
Duncan coral turning green?

Hi, I started my first saltwater tank this summer and have a lot of questions. I have a 32 gallon bio cube. It has been running for a couple of months and Iíve been filling it up with corals lately. So far I have a variety of coral, two emerald crabs, four snails, and a feather duster worm. Iím hoping to keep it as an invert only tank, but let me know if that sounds like a bad idea.

One of the first corals I got was a Duncan. For the first couple of weeks that I had him he was kind of white/tan with a little more coloration near the tentacles. Recently, it has started to turn fluorescent green on both the trunk and the polyp. Itís behavior hasnít changed at all.

A couple thoughts: the color looks almost the same as the reef energy plus coral nutrition food that I have put in the tank a couple of times, could that have any thing to do with it? Also, I have already made a few mistakes and unfortunately have been away from the tank for up to two weeks at a time because of work. I am most curious to know if this could be a stress response as I have heard of corals fluorescing when they are stressed.

Has anyone heard of this coral becoming tinged with a fluorescent green color? I feel like I may be missing something obvious. Iím eager to learn more and would love to hear what you all think.

__________________
abby_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:48 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,490
This is what duncans will do. My main colony has changed its color as it has been moved into different tanks each time. Currently of its ~100 heads, they also aren't the same color and change along with the tank moves.
A side note will be that these photosynthetic corals do not need to be fed. In a small tank such as yours, these commercial foods will quickly gunk up your water with phosphates and break it out in algae if not a crash at times. I would suggest not feeding at all.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,670
As long as it is not receding and open I wouldnít worry.
On a side note Iíd add a couple small fish. Fish waste = coral food!
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
This is what duncans will do. My main colony has changed its color as it has been moved into different tanks each time. Currently of its ~100 heads, they also aren't the same color and change along with the tank moves.

A side note will be that these photosynthetic corals do not need to be fed. In a small tank such as yours, these commercial foods will quickly gunk up your water with phosphates and break it out in algae if not a crash at times. I would suggest not feeding at all.


Wow okay that is cool. Do you have any idea why they do that? And thank you for the feeding tip. I have two kinds of food and have only fed I think three times total over the past two or three months. You donít feed yours at all? And is it the nitrogen cycle I should have been watching to tell if it is harming the water?

Thanks!
__________________
abby_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
As long as it is not receding and open I wouldnít worry.
On a side note Iíd add a couple small fish. Fish waste = coral food!


Good to hear! Iíll keep the fish tip in mind, thank you.
__________________
abby_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:53 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby_n View Post
Wow okay that is cool. Do you have any idea why they do that? And thank you for the feeding tip. I have two kinds of food and have only fed I think three times total over the past two or three months. You donít feed yours at all? And is it the nitrogen cycle I should have been watching to tell if it is harming the water?

Thanks!
No, I don't feed at all. The photosynthetic corals in our tanks can thrive on having proper lighting alone.

In terms of the water from using liquid coral foods, they are packed full of phosphates. They build up quickly, and most tests are junk for such or hard to use, so these levels can easily build up. This is especially true in smaller tanks. So in general, a good rule of thumb is to just not target feed corals unless you keep non photosynthetic corals and have outstanding filtration and water change schedule.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coral, duncan coral, green

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duncan Coral Turning White. ChiTownRomeo Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 12-17-2014 05:17 PM
bright green Duncan coral scott5s4 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 19 10-24-2013 01:29 PM
Green Duncan Coral PISCES4LIFE Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase 7 09-19-2013 06:46 PM
Zoanthid n Green Duncan Coral PISCES4LIFE Saltwater Reef Aquaria 1 09-14-2013 09:17 PM
green duncan Caige Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 2 12-25-2009 06:08 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.