Dwarf Seahorses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can anyone tell me what the black patches are on these? I've looked all over and can't find anything.

image-3050999882.jpg

I don't know but I am going to follow this thread as I am working my way up to getting some dawarf seahorses.

You are referring to the black velvety patches on the sand and glass right? If so, that is called cyano bacteria. It's a result of excessive nutrients present in the tank. You can simply siphon it off or gently brush on it to take it off while doing PWC. Just be careful not to siphon the sea ponies :) also, it may help if you reduce the feeding to very small amount and spread it over a more frequent intervals. That way you can make sure the ponies eats most of the food with little left overs. Also, you might consider cutting back on the lighting since they are photosynthetic. Good luck!

Ok, figured out the issue! So the dark patches on the sea horses are from stress. It could of come from the cyano. Basically, anytime everything is not absolutely perfect they freak out like that.

Back
Top Bottom