dying clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello i have a Crocea Clam it seems like it is dying it blue bright color is turnig clear and its foot is no longer attached if it does die should i remove it from the tank does it leave off posions or can i keep the shell in there thanks Jester

Being the clam is losing it's color I would bet it's losing zooanthellae meaning it's not getting enough light to grow this algae. Is this clam in the 60 gallon? What's the wattage of light on the 40 gallon?

Here are some options to try....

Add more lighting to which ever tank it is in. You want at least 5 watts per gallon. 7 to 9 watts would be most preferred for clams.

If the other tank has at least 5 watts per gallon, preferrably more, then acclimate it to the other tank.

The last option would to bring it closer to the top. Moving clams can cause damage so be very careful if you chose this option.

You can also target feed the clam a little extra food.

If the clam does start to die, it will turn pretty slimy. At that point do take it out of the tank. If it's meat is receeding, but not slimy, you can hospitalize the clam and attempt to save it. Good luck.

A dead or dying clam will smell aweful...like a monster size wet fart nasty aroma. The more rotten it is...the more dead it is, the stronger the smell.

FYI...I don't know if this applies to all photosynthetic coral. I would imagine it does. I read an article about anemones and how they get their color and what role zooanthellae play in their biochemistry. Light dependent coral grow this algae in their tissues from the light they are exposed to. This algae, at least in anemones are utilized and transformed into sugar which fuels the animal's metabolic system. When anemones start to lose their browns and greens, this means they are losing this supply of algae and in turn losing the needed sugar to keep their metabolisms going. These animals can take a very long time to die. Sometimes up to a year. So it's very important that these animals get the proper lighting. Clams are high light dependent. Clams are generally raised in very shallow water and very close to the surface to achieve their light requirements.

A metal halide about 250 watts or more should help achieve these requirements.

thanks this clam was given to me with the tank i am not sure how long she had it and i cant talk to her anymore because she is in europe somewhere there are two pc lights in the 40g i think i am going to move it to the 60g right by the top so it is close to the light thanks for the info it has already let loose of the rock on its own so moving him will be easy

Clams are one of those creatures that really do require MH lighting. I have had 2 for about 3 months that are doing terrific. I rescued one of them from some guy who brought it in while I was at the LFS, and I rescued one from my moms 24g nano cube that was not doing well. They both made a full recovery.

well i wish i would have know that i will never get one i am suprised she had it she is a vet but i think it is dead :( I only have pc on both of my tanks

Clams can be kept under PC lighting if kept in the upper portions of the tank (less than 10" ideally), but as mentioned MH usually ensures that they can be placed where you want them. If it has turned clear and the foot is no longer holding I would remove it from the tank before it decomposes, it is unlikely to turn back around from this point. Since it is clear, it has no zooxanthellae and will likely starve before more repopulate (the zoox utilize the intense light and produce food for the clam).

Back
Top Bottom