Dying Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30g FOWLR with several damsels, a coral beauty, some snails and an algae blenny. I had 4 tank raised false clowns that all died from what appears to be a parasite infection. Their entire bodies were covered in white bumps. I originally thought this was Ich so I treated the tank accordingly. I now belive it may not have been just ich as none of the other fish showed these symptoms, also after all 4 died I treated the tank with Seachems Paragaurd for a week. Then I added 2 more false clowns that died one week later of the same body covering white bumpy film. Please help.

Thanks,
Karl

Sounds like ich to me. Just because the other fish did not show signs of ich, does not mean that is was not ich.

How did you treat them?
What were the syptoms besides the white bumps?
Ich looks like tiny grains of salt.

In many case only one fish may show signs of ich. In cases of ich, all fish must be treated, and the tank left fishless for a period of 4 to 6 weeks.

Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

When you say "treated the tank accordingly" what do you mean?

karlseith said:
Then I added 2 more false clowns that died one week later of the same body covering white bumpy film.
I would look into the possibility of Brooklynella hostilis. The filmy coating you describe is more consitant with that than C. irritans. Being these are clowns, Brooklynella is quite common in WC species. Keep in mind that most "display tank" treatments considered safe are rarely effective on most types of parasites. Please be sure you research the problem as much as pssible and be sure which parasite you are treating.

If Brooklynella, you will need to QT all the fish and treat with a series of dips in formalin. C. irritans (ich) will need either hyposalinity or copper.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom