Dying Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LdIZzY

Aquarium Advice Activist
My water is all good except my PH is Low (8.0), all my fish are active and fine but my snails keep dying... Why?!!
I did notice that my hinges is rusted and was leaking into my tank (problem fixed)... Could that have been the cause?

LdIZzY said:
My water is all good except my PH is Low (8.0), all my fish are active and fine but my snails keep dying... Why?!!
I did notice that my hinges is rusted and was leaking into my tank (problem fixed)... Could that have been the cause?

Can anyone help me please?!

I'm in the same boat. All my levels are fine. I started out w/ about 7-8 turbo snails and only 2 are left.

I don't think the rust in the tank could have been the issue since it's iron, not copper (which would kill inverts). Well there's not much info about it. Where'd you get the snails from? How'd you acclimate them? When you say good parameters what does that really mean...what are your parameters?

And to gpd605x, turbo snails will eat algae super fast then when it's all gone, they can starve so it's advisable to wrap some dried seaweed around a rock to feed them.

obscurereef said:
I don't think the rust in the tank could have been the issue since it's iron, not copper (which would kill inverts). Well there's not much info about it. Where'd you get the snails from? How'd you acclimate them? When you say good parameters what does that really mean...what are your parameters?

And to gpd605x, turbo snails will eat algae super fast then when it's all gone, they can starve so it's advisable to wrap some dried seaweed around a rock to feed them.

Don't know the exact numbers but nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are all good. Never got tested for calcium and alkalinity and whatever else... Does snails need those at a certain as well? My shrimp and hermits are still active.

So you don't know exactly what your nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia readings are? This is very important. I recommend you getting your own test kit if you don't have one. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and <30 would be good. If you have a quality salt, it should contain those essential elements like for the shrimp w/ molting and the snail with the building of it's shell...If the shrimp and hermits are okay I'd think a fish is eating it or a hermit is stealing its shell and eating it.

obscurereef said:
So you don't know exactly what your nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia readings are? This is very important. I recommend you getting your own test kit if you don't have one. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and <30 would be good. If you have a quality salt, it should contain those essential elements like for the shrimp w/ molting and the snail with the building of it's shell...If the shrimp and hermits are okay I'd think a fish is eating it or a hermit is stealing its shell and eating it.

My numbers are there, I go by color tho... My shrimp has molted a few times and my snails are still in the shell just upside down and when I turn them over they stay in the same spot until I finally remove it.

Do you have a color card to read the parameters? Are you using test strips? Test strips are inaccurate and liquid test kits are a lot better. Some snails, when they fall over, can't get back up so they just die...pretty funny yet sad..What are these snails? A couple of my ceriths have died this way.

Ideal pH for a reef tank is 8.2-8.4, but for a FOWLR, 8.0 is fine, like sushiluckyfin said.

Turbos will die if they fall and stay on their backs I found this out when I started losing a lot and not to my hermits though they benefited from it

Turbos only have a 1-3 yr life expectancy to begin with. Also if its a Mexican turbo snail its been taken from Mexican waters which are usually much colder then our reef tanks which shortens life expectancy. Long story short they could just be dying of natural causes.

I have had my turbos going on 4 years now and some are Mexican turbos. Maybe I just got lucky

Back
Top Bottom