Egad! Where Did My Tail Go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talenzmeier

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings O' Healers of Fish!

I have a 75 gallon FO tank that has one 3 Spot Damsel, 4 Chromis, and 1 Gramma Basslet (the Basslet arrived yesterday). One of the Chromis has a serious injury where his tail starts. Simply put, parts of him are missing. I first started noticing symptoms about two days ago in the form of red spots near where his body ends and tail begins. I immeidately started treating the tank with Melaflix (7 tsp), but the fish's injuries only seem to be getting worse. I am not sure if this is a disease or the result of an overly aggressive fish. It can't be the Basslet since he arrived yesterday and this pre-dates his arrival. Aside from his injury, his behavior seems normal. That is to say, his breathing is not stressed and he continues to eat. So there you have it fellow fish doctors. What is your diagnosis? Thank you.

talenzmeier said:
I am not sure if this is a disease or the result of an overly aggressive fish.
It is most probabley a bit of both. the missing fin areas are most likely from nipping. The reddening area is the onset of a bacterial infection. In most cases this can be easily treated with vitamin soaked foods (Selcon or Zoe) and increased frequency in water changes. Water changes should be 10-15% twice a week to help reduce DOC and other impurities that will feed the bacteria. If after a week there is no possitive result, then treatment with a broad spectrum anti-biotic for gram negative bacteria may be needed.

Please try the first two suggestions first. Also make sure any meds other than the Melafix are only used in a proper >>quarantine<< environment.

Cheers
Steve

Emperor Substitute

Steve,

Since I have a spare Emperor Bio-Wheel, could I use that instead of the sponge filter and pump?

Thanks

Steve,

I set up a hospital tank over lunch. We'll see if I got to my Chromis in time to save him. Thanks for your help! :D

Sorry for the late reply!!

Yes the HOB filter will work fine for the QT but just be sure it is never used for anything else depending on what meds ever get used. You may also wish to allow the HOB to run for a few days on the main tank to colonize a minimal amount of bacteria. Just be mindful of water quality in the QT and be prepared for water changes to keep the parameters in line.
Good luck with the chromis.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom