emergency: Need HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnnyOneBeat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a yellow longnose butterfly fish. It was eating in the store. When i got it home i dipped it in freshwater with methylene blue. Then I put it in an adjusted 10 gal quarantine tank. Its been two weeks and i haven't seen it eat any of the foods i give it which include, frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, flake food, half shell clam. Now Its developed Marine Ich. I dont know what to do. I was thinking of putting it in an established 5 gal with meth. blue. but that wont solve the eating problem.

Please Help!!!!!!!

Some of the butterfly fish can be troublesome to get to eat. Not trying to upset you but I had 2 copperband butterfly fish that died within a couple weeks one had ick and never ate, and the other was killed by my porcupine puffer. You can try adding garlic products such as Garlic Guard by seachem, this may get him eating, I know my fish love the stuff. You could also hang some nori or seaweed/algae sheet in the tanking hoping he may nibble at them.

For the ick problem I would recommend >>>>hyposalinty<<

The link jamal-188 provided above will give you step by step info on how to properly perform hyposalinity. Lowering the salinity is done in stages after the fish is added. The info is about ½ way down the page :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I would also like to mentions that as a result of lowering the SG your alk may be driven down as well which can lower your pH. I was not aware of this potential problem and it almost cost my sick fish his life. Gladly he is doing much better now and almost fully recovered :)

Just keep an eye of alk and ph, I would recommend a good dKH buffer to raise alk/pH if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom