Equipment advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lurker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A LFS is selling a used 20 gallon sump with an Iwaki md40lxt pump and a E.T.S.S. skimmer for $250. I'm not exactly sure what model # the skimmer is but I'm pretty sure it's the Evolution model. Is this good equipment?

I am going to get back into the Marine tank hobby after a 15 year break. I'm gooing to run a 90-100 gallon FOWLR setup.

Does this sound like a good price on this setup, and more importantly will it be good enough for the size tank I want. Like I said I haven't had a tank in quite awhile and the sump systems are something that really wasn't around when I kept a salt tank. ANY help or advise is appreciated.

THANX!

Welcome lurker. ALthough I guess you gave yourself away and cant be consiterd a lurker anymore. :mrgreen:

A 20 gal sump is an ok size for a 100 gal tank. I like larger sumps but there is no hard fast rule of thumb on sump size to tank size ratio or anything. I dont have any experence with the iwaki pump or the ETSS skimmer but a quick search on the internet found the Iwaki MD 40RLXT you should see if that R is in the pump model your looking at. new that pump is over $250 itself. So if the pump is in good condition then yes I think its a good deal because your getting a pump, skimmer and sump for the price of the pump.

If you wanna go cheaper. I would get a rubbermaid for your sump ($8) and than get a red sea berlin skimmer with a mag 7 ($80-$100) Although these skimmer sometimes get a hard time, Mine did great on my 90. If you wanted a better skimmer I would skip the ETSS and get a used Aqua C or a Euroreef.

By the way that Iwaki is a GREAT pump. But you can get it used for about $100-$125

Just a note on the pump. If it's the MD model instead of the WMD, it has the Japanese motor which is quieter and offers longer life than the motor that comes on the WMD model. The pump you're looking at actually should be a MD40RLT which is a pressure rated pump for use with filters and skimmers. If it's the MD40RLXT, then it's rated for circulation only and wouldn't really do a good job driving the skimmer. The RLXT is rated at 1200gph @ 4' of head with a 15' shutoff and would make a good circulation pump. The MD40RLT has a flow rating of 750gph @ 4' of head with a 21' shutoff and is recommended for the ETSS Evolution 750. If the skimmer in question is 25" tall, then it's the Evo 750 which is rated for tanks 100-300 gallons. Being a downdraft skimmer, this skimmer would be a real workhorse and should do a great job for you. It has no venturi or other air injection device and is dependent only on the flow of water from the pump. 20 gallons of sump should be enough for you. You could always upgrade to a larger sump later and convert the 20 to a refugium if needed. I think it's a good deal, but that's JMHO. :mrgreen:

If you wanna go cheaper. I would get a rubbermaid for your sump
Be careful if you go the Rubbermaid route as I lost half of my livestock due to an incident with a Rubbermaid sump..

James

cj10488 said:
Be careful if you go the Rubbermaid route as I lost half of my livestock due to an incident with a Rubbermaid sump..

James

What happened, I"m buidling my 50g fuge/sump now?

cj10488 wrote:
Quote:

James

What happened, I"m buidling my 50g fuge/sump now?
I used a 50g rubbermaid sump and It was leaching some sort of toxin in my tank and killed alot of stuff.. There is a topic in the sick fish/coral forum about it.. Make sure its food grade and fill it with water and let it circulate.. Mine had a nasty smell of chlorine/ammonia after a few hours of having water in it..

hth,
James

HTH,
James

Some of these containers have additives that inhibit mildew. You want to always make sure any container you use is food grade. As long as it is, it should be OK. Even then, give it a good scrubbing with a light bleach mixture before using it.

Back
Top Bottom