Fact for curing Ich..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ich mustly present within 3-4 days after new fish arrived especially with Tang and Butterfly fish.
1. What's the best temperature should be used in QT tank to speed up Ich life cycle?
2. Is copper safe for QT the new arrived fish? or other stuff?
3. Can the Ich really be treated in our aquarium or just temporary disappeared?

1- keep the temp about 80, no sense to put additional stress on the fish by raising the temp

2- copper is safe for fish, not for inverts

3- ich will be totally erraticated if the fish are treated with the proper dosage of copper

I had a problem with black ich on my yellow tang.

I gave him a FW dip for 30 seconds each time the spots appeared - that knocked them off right away, but they kept coming back a few days later.

Started running a strong UV filter (24w), and no more spots. I got one way stronger than I probably needed for my tank, and made sure I'm running it at the lowest flow rate I can, to kill anything that goes through it.

I'd assume UV would work for normal ich, but the problem is that water flow fast enough to be running enough water through it to get them all before they attach to a fish, but slow enough to kill them.

I'd assume UV would work for normal ich, but the problem is that water flow fast enough to be running enough water through it to get them all before they attach to a fish, but slow enough to kill them.

I've "kind of" successfully cured ich by running a UV. Since i bought the UV, my fish havn't shown any sign of being reinfected. 1 thing that shows me that i havn't rid ich out of my tank is that everytime i add a new fish, it will be infected for the first few 3 or 4 days. After those days, the fish will be clear of ich and will not be reinfected.

2 scientifically proven methods that remove ich 100% are hypo-salinity treatment and copper treatment. UV, ozone, cleaners, garlic, etc may help, but if you want it gone for good it is hypo or copper.

Some good reading here on copper treatment with sensitive fish such as tangs. http://wetwebmedia.com/copperprodfaqs.htm

I also have ridded ICH through invert safe ways with the use of garlic and dosing of myzine for a period of 3 weeks. Bottle states to use only for 5 days, but i underdoese and missed a few days here and there so i would not overdose.
this seemed to have worked a treat, although it took some time it worked i didnt loose a fish in the process of it either.

But all that is for nought if you dont leave your main fishless for 8 weeks to break the cycle of the parasite. I agree that the UV does help FF,but it only kills free swimming one that go through the chamber. The UV alone will not rid your tank even though I believe it will help.

Back
Top Bottom