Fading Leather?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scotteod

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a flower leather frag I got from a LFS about 2 months ago. In the last two weeks, it's shrunk to around half its original size. It's in the middle of the tank, on the front face of a rock, gets decent light and flow. What's going on? Thanks in advance... scotteod :?

My water specs:
80deg, 1.024, 10 N, 0.1 PO4, 2.75 Alk, 420 Calc. 10% WC/week with seawater.

Tank:
29g, CF lights, two powerheads
Bubble coral
Tube anenome
Various polyps, zenia
BT anenome and maroon clownfish
yellow clown goby
two cleaner shrimp
hermits, snails

Attachments

• august06_085s_120.jpg
    august06_085s_120.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 26
  • sep06_012s_181.jpg
    sep06_012s_181.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 21
CFs new in March/April. Should I try to place the leather higher up in the tank to get more intensity?

No active phosphate remover. Just 10% PWC every week or two and a refuge with lots of caulerpa and some turtle grass.

Does anything eat this stuff?

It definitely is not happy. Put it under some heavy flow and closer to the lights and give it time to adjust.

Let me also add that I see some corals kind of close in the picture that was taken awhile back. If you have some corals encroaching on its space, they may be having issues with each other, make sure nothing is within a couple inches of this guy.

I have mine in a high flow and on top of rock for high lighting with my VHO`s. You can see mine on this left side pic of my tank. Here is a link to this type coral.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=638

img_707519_0_f4580d03ae17419f750aeda69b29d027.jpg

I would also do as Mrs Hara said and try more flow and move up higher to lights. And keep doing those PWC`s

More water flow and light would be a good start. Is that bacterial slime growing on it? That could be "eating" it. Possibly consider a brief dip with Reef Dip or other related products.

Thanks everyone.

I'll move it higher in the tank, away from others, and direct more flow over it.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Back
Top Bottom