Feather duster tips broken off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanofowlrboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just like the title says, some of the feathers tip seem broken, and the feather duster is fully out and not as big as it used to be. Water is fine as I also have a bta and a birds nest coral that are doing great, + many other corals. It hasn’t dropped any feathers, or its crown and the main worm hasn’t gone out of the tube. Nothing is bothering it, it was though sitting REALLY close (like touching it) to a xenia for a little bit till I moved it but that was like a month ago. I don’t add any filter feeding food to the tank, but I have a great pod population!

Tank setup:

10 Gallon tank 10-11 months old.

10 x 3 WATT Green Element LED (I got for $35 on amazon and I get a par reading of 326 at the top, 173 at the middle, and 120 at the bottem, great for sps and anemones) Has done great for me!

~12 lbs of live rock

~10 lbs of live sand

One 50 WATT heater

One HOB filter (I clean it with RO once a month and I run Chemi Pure Blue 5.5 oz along with filter floss and de-nitrate rocks.)

One calibrated thermometer

One 81 GPH circulation pump

One 132 GPH circulation pump (HOB filter is 100 GPH, I get good flow around the tank)

Maintenance:

1-2 Water Changes every two weeks

Change Chemi Pure Blue every 2-3 months

Change Filter Floss every 2-4 days

Clean Glass once a week

Parameters:

Ammonia/Nitrite: Undetectable
Nitrate: 2.5
Phosphates: 0.03
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.025
dKH: 8
Calcium: 450
Magnesium: 1400
Temperature: 79 Degrees Fahrenheit
Light period: 10 hours daily

I test with Sailfert Test Kits

Tank Mates:
1 Neon Damselfish
4 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
2 Astrea Snails
1 Cerith Snail
1 Nassarius Snail
1 Green Bubble Tip Anemone
Mushroom Corals
Chalice Corals
Xenia Corals
Open Brain Coral
Green Polyp Encrusting Gorgonian (very similar to gsp, I even thought it was gsp.)
Birds Nest Coral
and last but not least Coraline Algae

I dose using Kent Marine Part A & B, and use Kent Marine Purple Tech every other night (it actually has good results!)

I don’t have any or much at all of nuisance algae growing, the only thing would be a slight green haze (algae) on the rocks, and the occasional sand bed diatom line (This is how I know when to change my Chemi Pure Blue).

I also give my aquarium 3-4 hours of direct sunlight daily, and haven’t seen any problems from it, in fact my corals look better since I’ve started giving them direct sunlight.

I feed my fish every other day.

IMG_2355.jpg

Thank you!

BTW the anemone from my last forum is getting better.

First stop dosing. Your water changes are doing that for you. There isn’t anything in the system that will draw out enough to need dosing.
This could be part of the issue here...but it is hard to really judge.

I only dose when I see calcium or alkalinity drop, which is pretty rare, so I almost never dose. I just wanted to add that to see if there was any problems anyone has experienced with that product, I just didn’t say that.

Back
Top Bottom