feathers fell off my featherduster!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flsprophet2

Aquarium Advice Regular
The feathers fell off my feather duster today and I was wondering if I can get any input as to why. I heard that they will fall off due to a large amount of stress but all of my tests are good and it has been in the tank for about 5 months now.
ammonia=0
nitrites=0
nitrates=20
ph=8.2
phosphates=0
calcium=460

Is there anything else that would cause this to happen?
Help please!!!!

I've heard it, too, as a defense mechanism. Although I have no experience with it, apparently they grow back. Strange, eh?

i have never hear of that but just got into the aquarium game and just bought a huge feather duster... man would i be so ticked off if he lost his feathers. the thing is so beautiful and is soo soothing to watch

Reading off some sites, it says they fall off when stressed.

yes, they purposely drop them, much like a lizard and his tail, when stressed/spooked.

They grow back though.

I had one lose them and then it died??? Not sure why. But yes they do drop them when stressed.... Do any fish pick at it that you ahve seen?

i had one loose its feathers and thought it died....but then 2 weeks later i noticed it had new feathers...i heard that as long as your water parameters and chemicals are all balanced it will grow back....mine most likely fell off do to stress of me trying to pry it out of its spot...which did not happen...guess sometimes we all learn the hard way...oh and by the way he is twice the size now.

doug

My Coral Beauty will pick at the tube once in great while but never at the feathers. Now my other feather duster just lost it's feathers today.
AHHHHH

Back
Top Bottom