Fish and Cigarettes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munsterkins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Marine Aquarist for less than 3 months
Here's the thing...

My tank currently resides in my room, but so does my smoking habit.

I have and air pump split into 2 tubes for my water movement, but thats not cuttin it for me. I want to lose the bubbles, ya know. 8O

I want to get some sort of powerhead and I'm thinking of getting an Aqua Clear 402 Power Head. The thing about that is that it sucks air and blows it into my tank.

I smoke a lot but not enough for 9 fish, because once they become hooked on cigs, I'll need to get a 2nd job to support their new habit. :lol:

Seriously though, I along with my friends, smoke in my room, have you heard of any problems with this or know of a sweet powerhead?

Thanks

I have heard that over time the effects of smoking can degrade your equipment, and pollute the water at the same time. Smoke can get into the filters and flow through the water possibly making it toxic. Bob Fenner touched base on this in his book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". You may want to check it out.

Powerheads: Maxijet 1200

Mike

Saltanker, I am also looking into powerheads for a new 75 gallon tank i'm going to be setting up. You reccomend the Maxijet1200 over the aquaclear? What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

Maxijet is just a personal preference, but many people on here swear by them. I love mine. Lots of flow, and quiet. Not to mention they have 295gph. Can't go wrong for $23.00.

Mike

i like maxijets too, i think they get clogged less than aquaclears and push more water for your money.

maybe you oculd look into getting an air purifier for your room? like one of those stand alone air filters? just a thought.

or take your smoking habit outside, thats what i do.

kinda makes you wanna quit your habit? Just think. that stuff that kills your fish is the stuff that ESCAPES your lungs. :|

I've used the Emperor filters on both my salt and fresh tanks and smoking does infact affect the tank ecosystems. And, I agree, that "The C. Marine Aquarist" does mention that it will kill your fish. My Silver Dollars get sick for days when I do. I've since quit and I must say that the fish are one good reason to if you enjoy them so much. Note: I believe this will affect smaller tanks more severely and be more harsh on sensitive species (e.g. dollars).

Back
Top Bottom