Fish are dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Fish are dying please help!!!

Hello my tank is 9 month old and it a 40g tank I had two clowns two pajamas. My nitrite, ammonia, everything is good I just added a dottyback on Sunday from petco I know I know anyway yesterday Monday I got home and one of my clowns died and the pajamas and dottyback look white and breathing fast also sitting on the bottom the one clown is doing fine, what can it be I haven't been home yet today to see if there living but they look bad, please help thanks

Last edited:
I doubt that a disease or parasite could kill a new fish overnight. It doesn't matter that you bought the fish from petco. All stores get their fish from the same hand full of suppliers.
I would do a large water change and possibly run some carbon for starters. What are the exact levels of ammonia and nitrite?

I doubt that a disease or parasite could kill a new fish overnight. It doesn't matter that you bought the fish from petco. All stores get their fish from the same hand full of suppliers. I would do a large water change and possibly run some carbon for starters. What are the exact levels of ammonia and nitrite?

Nitrites are .5 ammonia 0

Is is like a white slimed covering or white spots that look like sand? Spots are Ich, but it does not usually kill fish that quickly. If it is more a layer of dusty looking stuff or slime, it is likely Brooklynella (slime) or Marine Velvet (powdery/dusty).

Both of those act quick and can wipe out a tank in days. Brooklynella can be treated with Formalin baths and MV with copper.

Is is like a white slimed covering or white spots that look like sand? Spots are Ich, but it does not usually kill fish that quickly. If it is more a layer of dusty looking stuff or slime, it is likely Brooklynella (slime) or Marine Velvet (powdery/dusty). Both of those act quick and can wipe out a tank in days. Brooklynella can be treated with Formalin baths and MV with copper.

It's more like they look sick like they lost there color not a slime also no spots but it seems it effect all the fish but one clown looks good, so what ever it is it killed 4 fish. Also my collection cup for the skimmer is looking a different color more like a yellow looking color not like it always looks like

Sounds like a poison was added to the tank. Do you have young kids?

I was just thinking the same thing as a possibility. Does not sound like disease.

How is your surface agitation? That could play a part with the rapid breathing.

The surface of your water...is it moving around a lot for good oxygen exchange. This is probably not the problem since you had the other fish for a while but it's worth looking at if one of the powerheads got moved or something.

Also, was it nitrites or nitrates that was above zero? Trites should stay at zero in a cycled tank.

The big water change that Mr X suggested would not hurt anything.

The surface of your water...is it moving around a lot for good oxygen exchange. This is probably not the problem since you had the other fish for a while but it's worth looking at if one of the powerheads got moved or something. Also, was it nitrites or nitrates that was above zero? Trites should stay at zero in a cycled tank. The big water change that Mr X suggested would not hurt anything.

Trites are at 0

ok could this be the problem I have been noticing that on in sump of my tank theres some green slim thats looks like snot and it feels slippery. Its in the sump my 1/2 tubing for my biopellet retractor. some kind of algae could it be bad?

No. I get it also and I keep sps. Really does sound like an abnormal substance was added. Water change! When in doubt try water changes. It cures more then what people think.

Back
Top Bottom