fish dying help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacheco

Aquarium Advice Regular
two days ago I lost my coral beauty angle and today my auriga butterfly. they were just laying on the bottom no signs of spots or anything on them.
my water is ro. do 15 -20g water change every week
ph 8.0
nitrite-0
ammonia-0
sg .21
temp-78-79
natrate 80 can't seem to get this down no matter what I try.
I just did some rearanging and added a large dead rock to tank last week.
they are all eating well and no fighting going on.
any suggestions?
tank is 120g been upand runing about 3 month.
I was using io salt but lfs was out so I changed to oceanic

Hmm, that is a lot of fish, even for a 120g. Could have been overstocked, causing stress to the fish and biofilter. Especially with a tank only 3 months old...

That tank should have 120-200lb LR and a skimmer! Start with a good water change and remember 1" fish per 5g of tank. Also, some of the fish may eventually eat the clowns and damsels.

Sorry for the losses, try to learn from this.

Crushed coral and too many fish too soon IMHO. Huge number of fish, and some big eaters you got there. I belive you can expect more problems soon.

tank is 120g been upand runing about 3 month.
This is likely your problem. Your tank is simply too young for that kind of bioload. This would explain the nitrate issue. I would seriously consider thining the livestock list and adding another 100lbs of LR. You need more biological filtration if you plan to keep a fish load like that in the future. The CC is not really helping things but with regualr vacuuming it should not cause that big of a problem. Sorry to sound so negative...just shooting you straight.

Sounds like they say just was not ready for that bio load. You might want to think about a bigger sump. I have a 40 gallon sump refugium. Great for getting rid of nitrates. I`m guessing that with a 15 sump you must have a wet dry. I call them a nitrate factory. I`m sorry about your loss. Just go slow for a while. It will be worth it. Good Luck

Your headed for wipeout. Way to many fish for even a well established 120 with a lot of rock. I would take back the trigger, puffer, one clown and the 5 damsels and get credit from where you bought them. Just my opinion. 8O

I noticed you didn't put sizes down on the fish, so maybe hopefully you have smaller sized fish. I agree in a young tank, its quite abit of fish. On the other hand a store credit really stinks after you bought everything. Did you make a qt tank?
Perhaps you could shelter a couple of fish there till the bioload catches up. If you didn't maybe you could buy one now. Don't get too crazy in the qt tank, if you search the site you'll find recommendations for things for a qt tank. You could also get more liverock, but a cheaper alternative without spiking your tank with more ammonia, nitrite or nitrate is to get base rock. This will turn into lr after awhile in you tank.

thanks for all the help. and yes all the fish are rather small about 26" in all . I have slowed down and when the puffer get to big I will take him back to lfs. have been adding base rock a little at a time . yes I do have a qt if thing get any worse will transfer some to qt for a while.

I was just sitting here adding up the potential growth of all the fishes in your tank.
Very Conservative

Har Tusk- 6 Inches
Blue tang- 8 inches
Yel Tang- 5 Inches
blonde naso- 8 Inches
2 Marroon Clowns- 8 Inches
clown trigger- 7 Inches
5 Damsels- 10 Inches
Puffer- 5 Inches

Close to 60 Inches of fish (70 Inches is more likely for the compensation of the robust size of most of these fish in adulthood) in a 120 Gal (In probably less then 2 years)

You might want to start shopping for a 240 Gal 8O 8O 8O
Believe me, I am not trying to add insult to injury, I just want to keep you from heading to a bad path. How long have you had all these fish together and how is the agression in the tank? You had a coral beauty and auriga in addition to this list?

Well pacheco, just how long you had those two fish? You need with those butterfly fishes the highest of water quality and please make no mistake, im not talking about just your water testing for it goes much more beyond that. Like i like to know your filtration method that is on this tank and is it the 4' long 120 or the 5' and how many power heads you have on the inside of the tank for your water currents and as well do you have at least some 150 to 200 lbs of L/R? an d as well what type of gravel bed you have and how deep it is? For your problem at this time can be anything, for one thing your tank hasn't age that much for a three month old tank because for a coral beauty angle one needs a well established tank as well with butterfly fishes and as well they natural diet which is greens for you been placing in the tank dry seaweed/algae once a day for them and what other foods if any you been offering them?

But what i not understand is how can your nitrates be that high if you test it correctly? For how many other fish tank mates you have in the tank? And when you feed, you not just dump a load of food into your tank but small amounts and it might be best for you too shut down your main pump(s) while the feeding is going on but not the power heads on the inside of the tank and not forget to turn then back on after the feeding.

Now a Ph of 8.0 is OK, but i would raise it a bit to as high as 8.2 or 8.3 for you see you are at the border line for any number of marine animals when the Ph drops to 7.8, they not would have an appetite and would be feeling stress. For like most all eels will give people this type of reaction to low Ph in their tanks.

But from the sound of it you do a weekly 20 gal water change, this is obviously not enough of a water change and as well be depending on your bio load for that too causes you too over feed in which case i would say for now to do a weekly water change of 30 gals.

The other thing is both those fish that died live among the reefs which the pH is a bit higher as well as the salinity but it not means they should do as well with lower amounts as you have, just need the highest of water quality with both. And I see you add only dead rock is it, this might be OK if you enough L/R.

OK, after i finished reading your post as i responded to it, i see at the bottom you all those fish in this 120 so i know now that you are over feeding and i will have to say to do a weekly water change of 35 gals or before you know it, your nitrates will be through the roof so i will have to say that stress killed those two fish :( And i see you not enough L/R for 70 lbs is little for a 120, least by what i understand, i would double it. But that is just my two cents worth of it. As well as mentioned, you over loaded that tank way too fast for in some just 6-7 weeks you all those fish with 80 PPM nitrates. So it is surely a no wonder those two died :( you need to cut back your bio load right now, if you not, it will only get worst.

and yes all the fish are rather small about 26" in all
A fish like that clown trigger will grow quite fast and will begin to attack many of those fish you have there and you should never just look at it as it is now, that is always the mistake most start off with and as mentioned, we all hope you learned something here and please do return many those fish before a higher death count begins and allow your tank too age for you must be having nitrites an d some ammonia, you got to have it with a newly cycled tank as over stocked and over feeding. :( And do you have a skimmers? which model?
Buddy ><{{{{">

had damsels from beginning 3month or so the naso yellow tang and the clowns about 2and half month puffer 2month and the clown trigger a couple of weeks. they all seem to get along no fighting. yes I will get a bigger tank but if they get to big some will have to go back. thanks for the input.tusk bit the dust but I think he was sick from the begining

Back
Top Bottom