Fish Sleep on the bottom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone have their fish actually lay on the bottom of the tank and sleep. I can't figure out if the new royal gramma I just got is either A)still stressed and getting adjusted or B) thats just the way he is. When the lights go out he lays in the corner of the tank pretty much on the bottom of the tank with little or no movement of the fins, once the lights are on for 10 min or so hell swim around, still hangs towards the bttom of the tank but at least he swims all around it.

Is this normal behavior?

Not sure about the royal gramma - but, my clown fish lay on the bottom of the tank and I've had them for about 9 months. They're pretty healthy. I also just got a mandarin that lays on the sand motionless all night. The next morning at lights on he's got sand on him. At first, I was a little afraid but once the lights come on he perks right up and starts hunting for food. I would assume yours is okay, especially if he just does it at lights out.

If you acclimated him correctly, he's eating, and your numbers are okay - I wouldn't worry.

Back
Top Bottom