Fish were almost cooked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just happened to place my hand on my mom's nano reef tonight and the glass felt really warm. So I checked the won pro II heater and it was stilled dialed in at 80F. I spun the dial and it clicked on and off so the heater wasn't jammed on. I went and got a thermometer and the temp was a little over 90, here clown was acting a little funny as well but it was after lights out so I think he was sleepy as well(hoping) Anyway what happened was the little suction cup thermometer with the heater apparently came off the glass and popped out of the water. Since the temperature in the house is below 80F the heater just stayed on heating up the water more and more. It's lucky I happened to find because by morning I'm sure everything would have been dead.

It's a good thing you were there! I bet your mom is glad too that you noticed it was too hot. I hope the suction cup attachment is secure now!

You might want to try using the suction cup on the thermometer along with something else to make sure that it stays in the water in the future. I've done this with other things. Use a zip tie or something, it doesn't have to be drastic, as long as it stays underwater.

Thats a great idea :wink: 50 kudos to you sir Can't belive I never thought of this because I've worried about this happening before.

No prob...I have one of those digital thermometers and the probe always comes unsuctioned and floats to the surface. I always think to myself that I should do zip to a filter tube or rock or something. Of course I just suction back to the glass...I should take my own advice.

Back
Top Bottom