Flame Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shjuho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have had our 55 gallon fish tank established since August of 2003. We started with a Flame Angel and some other fish and the Flame died in November. We replaced the Flame Angel and now our current Flame is not acting normal - not eating, not swimming with the other fish. Nothing has changed in the tank and ammonia, nitrite, salinity, PH all look good.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Not without more information. Do you know where in the world the fish is from? Most likely cause is cyanide poisoning.

How long has this fish been in the tank? It may take a few days for the fish to "calm down" due to the stress of transport.

Agree with Reefrunner. Talked lately with the owner of my lfs. He told me Corral Beauty's were a problem right now. Where they are coming from they are using cyanide to collect. Many are dying.
I believe the problematic ones come from the Phillipines.
I hope this is not the case for you. To entice him to feed, you may want to lace the food with a little garlic juice.
Good luck.

Flame angels are very hard to keep. I have heard only unsuccessful stories with them. At the store I work at we ONLY recommend them for VERY established tanks with lots of live rock. But I agree I think it is the collection method as to why they are not doing well. I think it is just a species to avoid for a while.

Christina

Like I said, we purchased this Flame Angel in November - could it still be cyanide poisoning? The suggestion to use garlic juice - how do you do that?

I've also noticed some blue/green algae developing in our tank - we have only had the brownish algae up to now. Is this something to worry about?

Oh wow, thats different then. Any new fish additions? Anyone picking at him?
As for the garlic juice, your lfs should have it. I use one made by sea chem, the fish go nuts over it. A few drops added when you thaw the frozen.
I thought blue or green could be a positive thing. Steve-s, Reefrunner?

Not so fast quarryshark,

the blue-green algae may be the start of your first cyanobacteria. I suggest rigourous cleaning and removing the algae manually. As for the flame angel, i blame the collection method. Cyanide should be banned :evil:

P-MAN

So .... back to my original question What do you think might be wrong with the flame angel. iIt's so sad - he used to swim all the time with the other fish and now he hides in the rock and coral. He came out when I fed the fish but didn't eat anything.

We have added a henicious butterfly recently but I don't notice it acting aggressive to any of the fish.

We lost our Flame this morning ... :(
Probably won't replace with another due to your warnings about the cyanide - so sad.

We lost our Flame this morning ...
Probably won't replace with another due to your warnings about the cyanide - so sad.

sorry to hear and I feel the same way, I just had the same experience with a bicolor after just 1.5 months, no signs of disease, just stopped eating...

i have no probs with mine

glad to hear...how long have you had him and what size tank, and food? He might be one from Cooks or Marhall Islands, or maybe one of the tank bred guys...

Sorry to hear about your troubles and the passing of your flame. They are beautiful fish. One suggestion for the future is to get a QT tank if you do not already use one. you can put one together for pretty cheap. they can also double as hospital tank for any sick or injured fish. It is a great investment. good luck! Lando

Back
Top Bottom