floating Seahorse's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seapony

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help, have two seahorse's in a 15 gal tank . Have had them for about 9 months. About 5 days ago they stared floating to the top of the tank. They look like they are pregnant . thier bellys are pretty big, but it looks like they are full of air. They are not eating too well now. The fish guys at Petland says this sould last about a week or so and go away.????? any help would be appreiciated.

The guy at the petstore is an idiot
They have air in their pouches that needs to be let out. The will be unable to swim shortly.
Here is a link that will show you how to do a pouch evacuation;
http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/pouchevac.shtml

you also need to try to figure out why, after nine months, they both came down with this...do you have air bubbles in your tank?

Thanks for the advise. I followed the procedure on the site you sent me to . It worked great, did not have to use anything but my fingers. The boys are doing fine now. when I feed them they can go for the food etc.... As for the bubble's, yes I did have a bubbler in the tank but turned it off yesterday before I did the procedure. Thanks again for the help. :mrgreen:

I am so glad it worked well for you! Watch for a recurrance, it can sometimes come back a time or two.

thanks

Thanks again for the advise. Had to do the procedure on one of the seahorse's again yesterday. He seemed much happier. I feed them right after that and he was able to chase food etc... 8)

Back
Top Bottom