Foxface in trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heathers.why

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My foxface is acting sooo odd this morning. He was great last night. He is either just free floating in the current and then swims a little or he is leaning on the rocks. He hasn't fallen over or lays on his side though. He also didn't eat this morning. I have looked at him all over and there are no signs of trauma or white spots. How can I tell if he is really sick and what can I do about it if he is?

Attachments

• image-191866641.jpg
    image-191866641.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 128
  • image-2900514862.jpg
    image-2900514862.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited by a moderator:
He looks extremely thin. I doubt he got that thin overnight, what are you feeding? He kinda looks like he's wasting away to me :( poor guy

I alternate mices and brine shrimp. He eats very well normally. He hasn't changed size or gotten thinner since I got him a week ago.

Nope as he was one of the few fish I added to my rank since it was new. Everyone else is doing wonderful. He has been wonderful and full if life. Ears like a champ until this morning. Ok so I saw him last chasing the clown fish and yellow tang at midnight and he was fine :-( how could I have starved him?

He needs other things to eat. I keep a seaweed strip in almost constantly and he'll graze on it all day. Brine shrimp have barely any nutritional value. That fox face NEEDS vegetation.

I have been there fish look nice eating and everything and then they just die. That's when I did not be leave in QT but now no fish go in DT without going in QT.

He needs other things to eat. I keep a seaweed strip in almost constantly and he'll graze on it all day. Brine shrimp have barely any nutritional value. That fox face NEEDS vegetation.

Definitely needs some veggies in his diet. +1 on the seaweed strips. Foxface are herbivores and need lots of veggies.

You said he stopped eating, right? It can be really tricky getting him to eat and fattening him up. I wouldn't move him because it will only make it worse and he probably won't eat in qt either.

Try feeding him and see what he does. I would highly recommend getting some dried seaweed ASAP and a clip and leave it in the tank. He may pick at it. It will be good for your yellow tang too.

I just wanted to post an update. I had my foxface examined and the good news is he didn't starve. As I didn't know my one food is a veggie blended food :) sadly he did have a run in with my urchin and isn't fairing so well. He is hanging in there and trying to fight so only time will tell. I was told not to move him as it will add stress so I got a pet keeper with holes in it to keep him in his tank but isolated from the other fish and still let him have current and light. I am praying my Todd makes it

Well at 130am he was swimming short distances in his isolation box and he did eat. I was so excited that Todd the fighter was rallying. Sadly at 8am this morning he passed away :-( . Now a new issue or maybe an over paranoid new tank owner who's fish just passed away.... My yellow tang Bubbles has one tiny white speck on her top fin like a piece of food is stuck or a piece of fuzz. No other spots issues or lack of eating. Nobody else has anything on them. I'm trying for a picture but it is so small I can't get it. I did look at Todd all over with a magnifying glass before his "funeral" and he had nothing on him but tiny puncture by the gill that I was told the urchin made. Can it be ick starting?

Well at 130am he was swimming short distances in his isolation box and he did eat. I was so excited that Todd the fighter was rallying. Sadly at 8am this morning he passed away :-( . Now a new issue or maybe an over paranoid new tank owner who's fish just passed away.... My yellow tang Bubbles has one tiny white speck on her top fin like a piece of food is stuck or a piece of fuzz. No other spots issues or lack of eating. Nobody else has anything on them. I'm trying for a picture but it is so small I can't get it. I did look at Todd all over with a magnifying glass before his "funeral" and he had nothing on him but tiny puncture by the gill that I was told the urchin made. Can it be ick starting?

I'm sorry about your fish :(

It could be ich starting. And tangs are ich magnets. How long has he been in the tank and do you see any scratching or twitching? Since you said it looks like a piece of fuzz, it may not be ich, because ich spots look like salt.

Oh got a picture... I think you can see it. Thanks so much for the support and follow up :). This is my first saltwater tank (a dream for a long time I shared with my husband before he passed away). I am reading like mad and trying so hard to learn. I am building it with my adopted 2 year old grandson and my mom who is terminally ill so I want so badly for it to be beautiful and everyone happy and healthy.

Attachments

• image-2543934509.jpg
    image-2543934509.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2633139887.jpg
    image-2633139887.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 83
  • image-799821159.jpg
    image-799821159.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 88
Oh got a picture... I think you can see it. Thanks so much for the support and follow up :). This is my first saltwater tank (a dream for a long time I shared with my husband before he passed away). I am reading like mad and trying so hard to learn. I am building it with my adopted 2 year old grandson and my mom who is terminally ill so I want so badly for it to be beautiful and everyone happy and healthy.

I'm sorry about your mom :( it's great you're doing this for them :)

Good news is it is not ich!! To me, it looks like the beginning of a fungal infection. If you have a quarantine tank, I would move him and treat with a medication called Paraguard by seachem. I had a fish that had something similar and it cleared it up pretty fast. Also, a good diet, and clean water will help a lot!!

If you cannot quarantine, it is always risky treating the main tank. I have treated the main tank with paraguard with no issues (long story lol). As long as you have no inverts, or corals or anything. A QT tank is definitely the best way to go. If you don't have one, this would be a very last resort.

Back
Top Bottom