freshwater dip for ich...comments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkprincess

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I'm almost afraid to start this thread, but I've had several people tell me that dipping a SW fish in FW WILL cure ich. Has anyone tried this? If so, how did it turn out and how did you do it?

It will not kill it all,and is not a cure,but more of a relief..
FW dips will help a heavily infested fish that is covered with spots and give it some relief ..It also helps with brooklynella ..
I have done many dips and never lost a fish

Ditto to what FTMMWS said. It only will help some of the ich spores pop off and relieve the fish a little. But take RODI water get it to temp and close to PH as your tank is. I like to do mine in a bag and let the fish float in the tank like your acclimating it when ya got it. Personally, not a huge fan of it though. I used to do it, but no more for ich. IMO at this point unless your going to do a full on QT of the fish, alleviating stress and providing a good diet with vitamins is better than anything. And catching a fish and shoving it into freshwater isn't gonna help with stress levels, or rid the fish of Ich.

I know its a debated topic, so just choose what side you trust in. I used to do FW dips and never lost a fish, but doubt it really helped much as Ich is in the skin, under the slime layer, where a 30 minute dip won't reach. But it may help rid the gills, which may be good.

Thank you. I keep hearing it works wonders but as u said, adding undue stress can't be beneficial.

I used kent marine RX.P to rid my tank of ich and it worked .I didn't remove any fish or harm any inverts or corals.

Well that didn't necessarily rid the tank of Ich, but it helped to help the fish fight it off, I used a similar product named herbtana. They basically enrich the slime coat, and give the fish munchies so it helps them fight it off. AND READ UP ON THE KENT STUFF, IT WARNS IT CAN HARM MOST CORALS.

Just keep them eating well;)

Thanks for the update. I pulled the three baby corals I had in it anyway because my butterfly was attacking them relentlessly

yeah, ya prob need to decide if ya want corals or the butterfly! good luck

Back
Top Bottom