Frog spawn looking bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggpaul

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm so confused. The hammer is doing so well right next to it. What's wrong with the frogspawn??? It was originally higher up to the left of the hammer, I moved it yesterday since it wasn't happy. I've had it two years and now it's acting up. I just changed to LED, but it was like this before that. Test results are all normal. I dipped it in a reef iodine dip last night. One head looks ok, the rest look baduploadfromtaptalk1425433510587.jpg

You answered your own question. You just changed to LED. It's adjusting to the light.

I know nothing about coral I'm on the freshwater side but he did say "but it was like this before that." Hence before he changed the LED.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have about 70 mushrooms there, never seen them like this, and I just did a water change. Flow seems to be strong there

What are your parameters? I'd want to suspect something going on there, most likely alkalinity.
Well last week it was at 5! I raised it to 11 pretty quick which I found out is wrong. But my frog spawn were already acting up. It dropped to 9 within a few days. I did a small water change, went up to 10. It is around 8 now. Ph is 8.1, calcium 420, but just dropped to 400. Temp is 79. Nitrate at 0-5. Phos at .25 or less. I have a carbon bag on top of the second chamber under a waterfall, should I submerge the bag in the second chamber where my chaeto is?

Well, the phosphate is high but that isn't the reason your mushrooms are closed up. The only recent change in the tank has been the ups and downs from alk? I'd suspect that is the cause and that things should level back out into stability and be fine.

Well, the phosphate is high but that isn't the reason your mushrooms are closed up. The only recent change in the tank has been the ups and downs from alk? I'd suspect that is the cause and that things should level back out into stability and be fine.
Yes, alk and leds. I'll check alk tonight. Maybe I have to start dosing

Also, do you think the bag of carbon should be submerged in the sump (chamber 2 in biocube) or under a return waterfall?

Either will work for the carbon. You said the alk and LEDs were the change? If not acclimated to a stronger light source this can also upset corals. When I upgrade from 4t5ho to LEDs I burnt 500 dollars worth of coral to death.

Either will work for the carbon. You said the alk and LEDs were the change? If not acclimated to a stronger light source this can also upset corals. When I upgrade from 4t5ho to LEDs I burnt 500 dollars worth of coral to death.
Ouch. I have a dimmer so I've started slow. I don't see any bleaching.

Ok so my frogspawn is looking really bad. I moved it, it lost a bunch of polyps. So disappointed. This was one head two years ago that turned into 8. Now look. Also my walled hammer isn't doing well. You think it's my carribean Angel??????? I've never seen it nip at the polyps, although now it's nipping at the algae on the bare skeleton.View attachment 266562

Some of those heads are definitely expelling themselves. How is the flow in the new area? I'd have a hard time believing this to be the lighting or the low alk currently as the heads right besides them are doing great.

Some of those heads are definitely expelling themselves. How is the flow in the new area? I'd have a hard time believing this to be the lighting or the low alk currently as the heads right besides them are doing great.
It was in a new area, but I put them back where it thrived for two years, where yoy see them now. I did change a pumps position last week but the flow is still fine. The hammer next to it is happy. Every coral except this guy and the mushrooms are happy. The two heads that looked good in the pic aren't looking so good now. Maybe it was the shock when I raised alk from 5-11 at one last week :(

Back
Top Bottom